Smart meter [poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have a meter?

• Yes and our bills are much lower

• Yes and our bills are slightly lower.

• Yes and we have not noticed any saving.

• No but i would like one.

• No i have no interest.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some guy on the radio is saying we should all have them as they would lower bills and help the environment.

We don't have one as i don't see the point, i know putting it simply if i put the kettle on four times a day its going to cost more than if i only put it on twice but i want to have four brews a day not two so what is the point?

A few years back my meter froze. I've reported it a few times and they've failed to turn up each time. I get credit for each no show and each failure to notify. Must be at least £150 by now. I don't want a smart meter.

I still pay direct debit so it's not like I'm getting it for free.

There ain't many of them that actually work.
They seem to give up after a couple of months...

I don’t have one and don’t want one. Like others I already know what I use and I’m not likely to use less because I have another bit of clutter on the worktop.

One of our friends is a meter reader too and I have no desire to put him out of a job. I also doubt very much my electric would be any cheaper if I did.

They don't actually do anything in themselves in terms of saving power - arguably as they need to be plugged in, they actually USE power. But they do give you an appreciation of how much electricity all your appliances use. I was surprised by things I thought would use a lot and didn't, versus things I thought would use nothing and actually sucked up more juice than I thought.

I saved a little on my electricity use (not a huge saving on the overall bill to be fair) by just turning things off and on by the plug etc and just see what difference I could make and I'm more conscious than I was, but I don't feel I need it after the first day of using it to see how much power different things used.

To be honest the only plus side for me would be they don't have to come into your house to read the meter mine is in a pig of a place they have to let us know in advance they are coming so we can make it easier for them to get to it.

sorry i voted no, for some reason i thought water, we do have one and according to eon we are very green :laugh8: so much so they keep wanting to lower our direct debit, latest offering was 44 quid for gas and leccy a month

It's all part of the long term goal of a smart grid with IoT devices where 'they' will be able to monitor and charge you depending on demand and control certain things to switch on or off only when the grid can take the power load.or when the time is right.

It makes sense in the long run but I think this thing about them saving you money is a bit of a lie to encourage uptake. Sure, I'm sure most will scrutinise the display for a few weeks once it's been installed, but after that it will be ignored most of the time.

I have one but its made no difference apart from I don’t have to read the meter and submit readings. I have a home automation system and solar panels so I have monitored my generation and usage for years and implemented a number of energy saving devices anyway.

The last few tariffs i have signed up to should have a smart meter but I have never been sent one. I don't see the point. I don't waste electricity and not going to sit in the dark or not put the radio on etc. I know what uses electricity and I know what I need.

No and I don't want a smart meter, as above I'm careful with energy use anyway - so it doesn't benefit me.

Plus the older mechanical meters seem to be more robust, both of mine are around 30 yrs old, they've just worked. Also for a new smart gas meter, I understand that the whole unit needs replacing when the battery dies

they put one ion my house when i bought my ex out.. its annoying but did initially at least make me more consious about my spending..

thing frigging thing plays up though.. I dont look at it

We'd love one but a chap came round from the electricity company and said our meters were too far away from each, too thick walls, too small a cable, lots of technical stuff I didn't quite get but the short version was we couldn't ever have one :(. Probably for the best given our old uninsulated house ... knowing the bills would just increase my anxiety level!

Anna

Latest posts

Back