SMASH

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Any one have a solid hop to use for a smash
One u would definitely do again or maybe one that surprises you with distinct flavour

Bohemian pilsner malt and Saaz.
Maris Otter and EKGs to abv 5%

You need a solid malt base, first, and if it's only a single malt then that implies a decent strength. The hops come next.

My first beer was a Maris Otter & Mosaic SMaSH and it was great. I keep meaning to have another crack at it now that I've got a few more brews under my belt, but that flavour combo really works and I've seen it recommended many times across a few boards like this.

Edit: In fact I think it was my profile pic that was that very brew!

HI All, been carefully reading and noting your words of brewing wisdom but this is my first post :cool:

I'm only a recent AG convertee but had a great MO & EKG SMASH result which is going down well with all.

Bottled a MO & Mosaic yesterday which tasted great out of the fermentor although not a true SMASH as I added some crystal.

Can't wait to try after couple of weeks carbonation etc.

Cheers all

Currently quaffing a Marris Otter / Cashmere SMASH, very nice.
I was expecting tropical fruits from the cashmere, not sure if I really do if I'm honest but it's on the list to do it again. :beer1:

i recently did a Golden promise/Styrian wolf SMASH called it 'Were Smashed'. did 60 and 30 min additions, then split batch of DH and DDH. i bottled a few right after ferment, dry hopped the rest for 3 days then, racked half into a corny and DDH the rest for another 3 days. i really liked the bottles, jury is out on the DH/DDH but it has only been conditioning for 12 days

i recently did a Golden promise/Styrian wolf SMASH called it 'Were Smashed'. did 60 and 30 min additions, then split batch of DH and DDH. i bottled a few right after ferment, dry hopped the rest for 3 days then, racked half into a corny and DDH the rest for another 3 days. i really liked the bottles, jury is out on the DH/DDH but it has only been conditioning for 12 days
That's interesting as I have seen many Smash recommendations but no one gives timings or weights of additions 😂
It's like a secret club and to get in the club you have to respect the clubs rules, but the first rule is the club doesn't exist and the second rule is you can't talk about the club, the third rule is what is the club? 😂😂

Anyone who is not in the club we don't know about want to put the basics of malt/hops weights /timings to have a go or is that a capital offence 😂

That's interesting as I have seen many Smash recommendations but no one gives timings or weights of additions 😂
It's like a secret club and to get in the club you have to respect the clubs rules, but the first rule is the club doesn't exist and the second rule is you can't talk about the club, the third rule is what is the club? 😂😂

Anyone who is not in the club we don't know about want to put the basics of malt/hops weights /timings to have a go or is that a capital offence 😂
The whole definition of a SMaSH is single malt and single hop and from that you try your own as its all about defining the malt and the hop so it's up to yourself after trying one or multiple recipes to see if you like either,both or none of the combinations.Then move on to another.

Solid hops
Amarillo
Cascade
Citra
Ella
Mosaic

Ok. Because, are others hops liquid?
Just kidding.

20 l batch size (fermenter)
6 kg Munich malt L9
120 min full mash @ 65 C
OG 1.063 FG 1.011 @ 70% efficiency
ABV 7%
SRM 13
IBU 67
Target 8 aa
50g @ 60 min
50g @ 10 min

Lallemand Abbaye yeast. 20 C.

Wait 2 months, at least, to drink it.
It isn't an APA/NEIPA. Maturation time matters here.

Cheers!

Last edited:
One I have found as a very maligned hop is Summit makes a lovely fruity but not overpowering taste. Some people have had onion off it but its been ok for me but you may need to whirlpool to get a decent amount in as it is very high on the AA's so unless you like a bitter drink use it late or whirlpool

You're missing the point, Griff. It's like asking "What is THE recipe for beer?" A SMaSH is any recipe that uses only a single malt and a single hop.
If we start with a pile of undermodified Moravian pale malt and mash it using a triple decoction and then boil it with nothing else but Saaz hops, we'll end up with Pilsner Urquell.
If we start with Maris Otter and boil and late hop it with EKGs, we end up with one of the recipes for Hopback Summer Lightning (some earlier recipes used a bit of crystal and also Challenger for bittering, but these don't count).
If we start with 4.5 Kg of pale ale malt and add 45g of EKGs at 90 mins, 45g at 60 mins and 45g at 30 mins we'll end up with Lovibond XB (1864)
I could go on and on.
In the past, there was a movement to get beers as light (in colour) as possible and only the lightest malt was used and, probably more often than not, only one hop variety was available. Look through Pattinson's Vintage Beers sections on bitters, light ales, stock ales and even milds and you'll find loads of SMaSH recipes. Move to his Let's Brew book, which deals mainly with early 20th century beers, and there is a much greater use of sugars and crystal malts. Many of the, mainly American recipes which build a malt bill from up to ten different components is a relatively modern thing partly driven by trying to tweak clone recipes with slightly different ingredients.

Last edited:
I’m aware this is a bit of a cheat, but the falconers flight blend works well in a smash(ish)

damn, did I overshare! 😀. I guess everyone is simply replying to the question though and would supply more info on request? (to anyone in the club of course) 😂

damn, did I overshare! 😀. I guess everyone is simply replying to the question though and would supply more info on request? (to anyone in the club of course) 😂
Thanks for your reply and just be be clear to others, no I am not missing the point, I would rather have a recipe and tweak to my taste than waste my time and resources, each to their own I suppose.

Thanks for your reply and just be be clear to others, no I am not missing the point, I would rather have a recipe and tweak to my taste than waste my time and resources, each to their own I suppose.
Exactly. Find a recipe that uses one malt and one hop and tweak it to your heart's content. SMaSH isn't a style like best bitter is a style The way forward is to find a recipe for a style or a beer you like and then adapt it or change it so that it becomes a SMaSH. A bit difficult with stout and porter, I'll grant you.

Back