smelly cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRYBO

Reaction score
hi all i brewed a bulldog premium cider kit on 7th november i put nutrients in and fermentation went great i kegged it 10 days later with a FG 0.990 so its been 4 weeks now but its got a sulpher type of smell to it is this the norm should i leave it to condition and hope it goes .many thanks

Not a cider maker but I can tell you some yeasts give off a sulphur smell especially lager yeasts. My advice would to let it condition longer and see if it fades as it does in lagers, I am sure some cider makers will pipe up and hopefully give more advice

Not a cider maker but I can tell you some yeasts give off a sulphur smell especially lager yeasts. My advice would to let it condition longer and see if it fades as it does in lagers, I am sure some cider makers will pipe up and hopefully give more advice
will do ty

Its just the yeast doing its thing, and thankfully its shouldn't affect your finished brew.

I tend to replace cider kit yeasts with Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast as it has very low sulphide emissions and keeps my mrs happier. I also use a home made carbon filter on my air lock as this helps reduce smelly brews too.

Ec-1118 does leave an unsightly black sediment but thankfully this sticks well to the bottom of the bottle and makes it easier to pour a yeast-free glass.

One of the joys of home brewing is learning something new with each brew :-)

Latest posts

Back