Smoked hoppy IBA (India Brown Ale)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrannBrew

Damo Brann
Reaction score
After having the strong urge to Brew agian after my last batch was back in December.

Was out of doing my black ipa hopped with just galaxy or something different, went with something different. Going to do a 9l batch for my small keg.
Came up with an Idea of a brown ipa but having some smoked cherrywood malt in there and hopped with galaxy and citra. How does this sound:

Title: Muddy Inch
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Brown IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 9 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 15.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 6.9%
IBU (tinseth): 97.53
SRM (morey): 32.61

FERMENTABLES:
2.34 kg - American - Pale 2-Row (84.5%)
130 g - Weyermann Beech Smoked (4.7%)
110 g - American - Chocolate (4%)
90 g - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.2%)
50 g - American - Wheat (1.8%)
50 g - United Kingdom - Golden Naked Oats (1.8%)

HOPS:
10 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 40.4
10 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.13
15 g - Citra , Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 80 °C, IBU: 18.34
15 g - Galaxy , Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 80 °C, IBU: 21.67
15 g - Galaxy , Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
5 g - Citra , Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 12 L, Saccharification
Starting Mash Thickness: 4.2 L/kg

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 19 C
Additional Yeast: WLP022

PRIMING:
Method: CO2
CO2 Level: 2.3 Volumes

NOTES:
20g Gypsum
10g Calcium Chloride

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/614978/muddy-inch

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-02-27 12:12 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-02-27 12:12 UTC

Very interesting I would love to know how it turns out, I suspect the hops will over power most of the other flavours though. The IBU from the whirlpool hops can't be right and my personal opinion is S04 would be a better yeast than US05 for this but just my opinion.

Very interesting I would love to know how it turns out, I suspect the hops will over power most of the other flavours though. The IBU from the whirlpool hops can't be right and my personal opinion is S04 would be a better yeast than US05 for this but just my opinion.

I've ordered the ingredients and planning a weekend brew. I just usually go with us 05 that's all but I've recently read to try O4 especially as it can hold up to colder fermentation temps. I think the recipe didn't update the ibus as I was changing things around and changed the AA manually adjusting for what they were on geter brewed.
Its all experimental and might be too much going on so if it turns out good then I'll be happy. You don't know if you dont try.

Yesterday I transferred the beer to keg. Got a full 9. 5l keg full, for a time I was fearing a overspill, certainly going to get my drinks worth.

Taste test after 10 days fermentation (5day dry hop) is great..Rounded taste, the smokeyness is rounded and not too harsh smells tropical then the smoke comes through first at taste, then fruity hops come but will still need abit of time to all meld.
Have attached my soda stream canister and its carbing to try again at the weekend.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back