Smoked malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got everything I need for my next brew - a clone of Adnams Ghost Ship - but I want to try adding some smoked malt into the grain bill as I think it will go rather well with it.
Trouble is, I've scoured the web for some and have so far failed to find anywhere stocking it that would charge a reasonable amount for the delivery.
So has anyone got some they're unlikely to want to be using? Happy to pay cost plus postage, obviously.

Hi. Best I can suggest is adding to my next order and bring it forward to arrive here this time next week? I'll be ordering smoked malt anyway, the Warminster variety but they do stock the common continental variations (and peat smoked for the head-bangers). It'll be from BrewUK who charge £4 P&P for a Kilo, £5 for 1-1/2 Kilos, or £6 for more (what I'll be hitting). No idea what it might cost me to post it on. Can't really suggest picking it up because I'm up Bala way whereas I think you're down South-ish Wales?

I brew "mild" with the stuff but found 15% a bit subtle (sometimes I couldn't detect it at all). 100% had somewhat more presence! I'll probably be trying 50% next time. Or I might try the idea of pairing it 60:40 with "Special B" (emulates the defunct "brown" malt apparently).

Hi Peebee, I just checked a post office leaflet - looks like it would cost nearly as much as BrewUK charge, so not much point really. But thanks for the offer. It will have to wait until my next big order.
Sounds like I'd need quite a bit from what you say anyway. I had a nice subtle smoked lager at Pipes brewery in Cardiff earlier in the year but everyone else reckoned it stank like a bonfire!:lol:So much for my sense of smell...

Latest posts

Back