Smokey Treacle Stout brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just put this fellow on to mash:

Pale malt 7lb
Rauschmaltz 3lb
Flaked barley 12oz
Roast barley 1lb 3oz
Chocolate malt 4oz

80 minute mash at 146f

70 minute boil with 2oz EKG hops plus half a tin of Black Treacle.

A bit disapointed with the Rauschmaltz - thought it would have more of a smoke aroma to it, but it's distinctly lacking in eau de bonfire...

Well it's all done now, slowly cooling in the FV. I'll pitch before going to bed tonight - S-04.

Why is it that some brews (like this one) drain to the FV with no problem at all, tipping up the boiler to get the absolute last drop of wort out with no difficulty, while some brews (every time with brown ale) clog up the filter almost straight away so that it's a right pain getting it to drain, scraping the filter just to get anything to run at all - and then you end up with loads of hot break scum in your FV.?

A bit disapointed with the Rauschmaltz - thought it would have more of a smoke aroma to it, but it's distinctly lacking in eau de bonfire...

I've not used "Rauschmalz", always use the home-grown product by Warminster Malting (BrewUK sell it). Doesn't cost much over their Pale Malt. I was pretty disappointed when I first tried it at 15%, but because it can be treated as a base malt I used 100% the second time. Now that is smoky! But certainly not undrinkable. My next attempt will use 50%.

The "Rauschmalz" was a mistake on my last order. I thought I'd removed it after I later spotted some `cherrywood smoked malt' but apparently I hadn't. The cherry stuff was much smokier and a nicer aroma as well. I used it in a biere de garde which I've yet to try since bottling - only 700g in a 5 gallon brew but you could still smell it a bit at bottling.

I'm beginning to think I need a brew fridge....
Never had this happen before.:lol:

P1060621.JPG

P1060622.JPG

P1060623.JPG

P1060624.JPG

ITS' ALIVE!!!

I'm coming the end of a batch of smoked porter I made from greg hughes book. I bought 'smoked malt' from geterbrewed. It didnt have any other labeling. The malt had a lovely smokey aroma, especially when I mashed

Latest posts

Back