Snoring

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, don’t laugh at your wife if you snore. At one point I think I went almost insane at the sound of my husband’s snoring, and that’s not using the word in any exaggerated sense. It was like we would be normal people all day and then I’d be plunged into a nightmare world at night. Wherever I went in the house, the noise could penetrate. I couldn’t wear earplugs back then because we had small children and I knew there was no way he would hear them if they needed anything. I’ve since read that it is possible to develop a sort of phobia to noises like that, and I think that’s probably what happened. He would say ‘just wake me’ but even if I shook him awake he would lapse back into it within seconds. If ever there was a time when I could envisage turning into an axe murderer, that was it. Losing weight sorted it more or less completely, but it took a heart attack for him to do that. He’s fine now, and only very occasionally snores, but I still have to wear earplugs at night in order to relax.

I see sleep apnea has been mentioned, and that's the number one go-to really. I had an Ex-partner many years back who snored really bead. She got referred and got a machine for sleep and it did help quite a lot. I'd taken to wearing earplugs and before the machine it was still awful. After the machine it was bearable. I still use earplugs all the time though as they have massively improved my sleep as I have always been a light sleeper.

Someone else may have mentioned them already but Mighty Ear Plugs are the dogs bollox.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-worlds...argid=aud-861612201097:pla-568201932468&psc=1

I am someone that once I fall asleep, pretty much nothing will waken me. However, if someone else in the same room falls asleep before me and snores, I'm goosed! I will struggle to fall asleep in that scenario. But those ear plugs drown out everything. The only thing you will hear is the sound of your own thoughts. Bliss.

Someone else may have mentioned them already but Mighty Ear Plugs are the dogs bollox.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-worlds...argid=aud-861612201097:pla-568201932468&psc=1

I am someone that once I fall asleep, pretty much nothing will waken me. However, if someone else in the same room falls asleep before me and snores, I'm goosed! I will struggle to fall asleep in that scenario. But those ear plugs drown out everything. The only thing you will hear is the sound of your own thoughts. Bliss.
I tried wax earplugs one time and woke up to find my hair all gummed you with wax. The best ones I’ve found are the 3m yellow classic ones, which are cheap if you buy a big box of 50 or 100 but about £3:99 for one pair if you buy them from boots.

My wife says I snore (not sure I believe her). I've tried lots of products, the missus says this works best: https://snoreeze.com/snoreeze-oral-...47j20Xq__gdOsRCgQbFMFFfagh5NkfTsaAmqiEALw_wcB

I did find that they make your jaw ache a bit at first though. It pulls your lower jaw forward a little, supposedly preventing your tongue falling back into your airway.
I have had a look at something similar. I want an alternative for camping when we might not have power.

I tried wax earplugs one time and woke up to find my hair all gummed you with wax. The best ones I’ve found are the 3m yellow classic ones, which are cheap if you buy a big box of 50 or 100 but about £3:99 for one pair if you buy them from boots.
The solution is to stop the snoring. Ear plugs don't stop snoring.
People should read up about the damage it's doing to the snorers body.

Sleeping is really bad lately since the lockdown. Grade A insomnia last night, anyone else struggling? :confused.:

The solution is to stop the snoring. Ear plugs don't stop snoring.
People should read up about the damage it's doing to the snorers body.
Nothing worked until my husband had a heart attack, survived, and changed his lifestyle completely - lost about three stone on the 5:2 diet and took up long walks every day. Now he still snortles a bit (he has a wonky septum and according to his mother has always been a noisy sleeper) but the loud unbearable snoring has gone.

Mrs Tea used to snore before they found she had Sleep apnoea she now has a CPAP machine and no longer snores and is a different person.

Sleeping is really bad lately since the lockdown. Grade A insomnia last night, anyone else struggling? :confused.:
Same here. Three of us in our house not sleeping as well. I think it's being anxious that does it. Exercise seems to help.

Why since lock-down?
Probably drinking too much and just a bit anxious about my career ect when this is all over.

Got the pick axe out in the garden today digging holes for 25 grape vines, that should do the trick

Probably drinking too much and just a bit anxious about my career ect when this is all over.

Got the pick axe out in the garden today digging holes for 25 grape vines, that should do the trick

Thanks for explaining, its difficult for me to imagine how others are coping as my life hasn't really changed that much (i still work 5 days per week) SWMBO works in a care home so has been going to work as normal, i cannot imagine the strain we would be under if we were both in the house 24/7.

Nothing worked until my husband had a heart attack, survived, and changed his lifestyle completely - lost about three stone on the 5:2 diet and took up long walks every day. Now he still snortles a bit (he has a wonky septum and according to his mother has always been a noisy sleeper) but the loud unbearable snoring has gone.

This!
This is key. The physiology behind the overwhelming majority of snoring (and even more so in sleep apnoea) is that there is more soft tissue around the orpharynx (back of your throat). For most who snore, this will be fat tissue. There are a minority of other causes, some snorers also find that by switching sleeping positions (for example onto their front), it helps lift the tongue of the back of the throat and reduces snoring.

Rather than dealing with the symptom however, it’s always better to try to fix the cause of the problem. The main issue is that this will often take some hard work and a switch of life choices, and we are nothing if not creatures of habit...

Lastly, and I appreciate this is going to go down like a lead balloon, but alcohol makes snoring demonstrably worse 🍺

I've been sleeping really well since being furloughed, I decided that I will cut right down on the beer and I have stopped snoring.

We both snore- "you woke me". "No, you woke me first..." etc etc, until I (yes, always me...!!!) get dispatched to the spare room- or MY room, as I've started to think of it .. !!!!

It may be worse at the moment as we're just starting to get into hayfever season for some.

I always seem to have a particular problem when sunrise is around 90-120 minutes before my usual waking time, it seems to really wake me up when earlier or later is no problem.

Latest posts

Back