Snow.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minus 10 in Morayshire at the moment so no sign of the snow going anywhere. Cannot actually remember seeing the thermometer ever reading that low before to be honest. Meant to reach the giddy heights of 6 or 7 degrees by about Tuesday so should all be gone be the middle of next week. Need to look out the sun cream for next week :cool:

No snow but plenty of ice -

Parts of England’s longest lake have begun to freeze over for the first time in more than ten years after overnight temperatures plunged below freezing in the county.

Staff carrying out essential maintenance work at Windermere Lake Cruises say it is the first time since 2009 that they have seen large chunks of Windermere turn to ice.

John Woodburn, operations director at Windermere Lake Cruises, said: “This is one of the very few occasions that we’ve seen sections of Windermere start to freeze over in recent years.

“The last time we saw this type of scene was in 2009, when we built an ice plough for the bow of one of our ‘Steamers’, MV Tern. This enabled us to push the huge chunks of ice away as she sailed past Belle Isle in the centre of the lake.

“On another occasion, back in the early 1980s, it was even possible to walk across part of the frozen lake between Lakeside and Fell Foot.

“At that time, I recall one of the team trying to break through an eight-inch layer of ice with an ice pick, but it was frozen solid and as you can imagine, it was a thankless task!”

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/19086038.windermere-begins-freeze-cold-snap-continues-cumbria/
1613142736605.png

Serves em right for having leaky tunnel! There's a bridge we used to go to over a river for this reason...the way to get them down is to chuck stones at them!

That's ********. I love snow.
Yep, agree fully.
I'm 64 y.o. and delight in snowfall. Always have since childhood. (anyone else remember '62-'63?).
Means I can get the mountain bike out of the shed and cycle round the car-empty snow covered lanes. An absolute delight. When commuting on the train, the early morning daily ride to the station was an absolute hoot in freshly snowed empty roads.
Oh, and I have been known to climb up the local downs (the North Downs) then ski down again. I've even skied down my own road, as it is steep enough and so no car can get up it when freshly snowed on.
Mind you, I hate SLUSH!

A little before even my time.
If that's the longevity home brewing confers, I'll get another one on 'toot sweet'.
I've only just 'dry hopped' an English Pale Ale.
Hand picked by me EKG's frozen in the green, actually.

I agree, so do I.
Personally I think it’s more down to do I need to go anywhere this year I’ve being working from home so snow is rather pleasant to look at, and means when I go for a stroll you see lots of snowmen and people generally making the most of it.

In previous years by contrast snow meant multi hour delays on the train trying to walk home from the station on heavily compacted snow that had turned to ice and just general unpleasantness.

We had quite a bit of snow here the past week. The Land Rover came into its own.

Very cold here today. One of our down comer drainpipes has frozen solid. Luckily its just a short one i had been meaning to clip back in after some building work. Its like an 8ft plastic clad ice pop.
Pulled it free and got soaked by the backed up ice water in the gutter. Was quite a wake up lol.

We all seem to be turning into Tom and Babs from the good life.

For years the government has exalted the virtues of hard graft.

But the covid crisis and the severe weather tell a different story about how people really feel about their lives.

There really is a large number of people, Some on here who no longer want to work until they drop.

Folks seem to be developing a sense of quality of life.

Latest posts

Back