Snow.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We got a bit earlier even though it was not forecast but fortunately not enough to cause problems, i am trying to watch the Man City v west ham game and you can hardly see the ball.

Have you had much?

None - it's just pi$$ed down all night and most of the day. We get snow about once every ten years being on the bit of the country that picks up the edge of the Gulf Stream. It just never gets cold enough (or dry enough) to snow.

A little and only a little in where I am west yorkshire but seen pics of south yorkshire by a work colleague and it looks quite thick around Sheffield

A little and only a little in where I am west yorkshire but seen pics of south yorkshire by a work colleague and it looks quite thick around Sheffield

1638114292530.png

Storm Arwen: Thousands across England remain without power
Thousands of people across England remain without power and transport networks continue to suffer disruption in the aftermath of Storm Arwen.
About 50,000 North East customers are still waiting for supplies to be reconnected.
In the North West, up to 16,000 homes and businesses are without power.
LNER train services on the East Coast Main Line have also been hit with no trains running north of Newcastle, the firm said.
Thousands of people across England remain without power and transport networks continue to suffer disruption in the aftermath of Storm Arwen.
About 50,000 North East customers are still waiting for supplies to be reconnected.
In the North West, up to 16,000 homes and businesses are without power.
LNER train services on the East Coast Main Line have also been hit with no trains running north of Newcastle, the firm said.

1638114266357.png

'Challenging'
Northern Powergrid, which covers the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire, said Northumberland, County Durham and Tyne and Wear had "taken the brunt" of the storm.
In all, 240,000 of its customers had lost power during the storm with 190,000 being reconnected by 09:00 GMT on Sunday.
Fallen trees and flying debris had damaged electricity infrastructure with conditions hampering engineers attempting to make repairs, it added.
Rod Gardner, the firm's major incident manager, said it had been "one of the most challenging" periods it had seen in more than a decade with its teams being unable to safely climb for more than 24 hours due to strong winds.
Electricity North West, which supplies people from the Scottish border to Manchester, described network damage caused by the storm as "devastating" with 83,000 properties without power at one point.
By Sunday, it said it had been restored to 67,000 customers.
Northern Powergrid, which covers the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire, said Northumberland, County Durham and Tyne and Wear had "taken the brunt" of the storm.
In all, 240,000 of its customers had lost power during the storm with 190,000 being reconnected by 09:00 GMT on Sunday.
Fallen trees and flying debris had damaged electricity infrastructure with conditions hampering engineers attempting to make repairs, it added.
Rod Gardner, the firm's major incident manager, said it had been "one of the most challenging" periods it had seen in more than a decade with its teams being unable to safely climb for more than 24 hours due to strong winds.
Electricity North West, which supplies people from the Scottish border to Manchester, described network damage caused by the storm as "devastating" with 83,000 properties without power at one point.
By Sunday, it said it had been restored to 67,000 customers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59450984
1638113919853.png

Had a nice little covering here near Dewsbury, maybe 2-3 inches.
Hope it all goes overnight, as I am meant to be in Manchester tomorrow......

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_154159.jpg
    IMG_20211128_154159.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 28
If you are going to get stuck it might as well be in a pub ;)

Dozens of customers at Britain's highest pub are set to spend a third night trapped by heavy snowfall brought by Storm Arwen.
Guests became stranded at the Tan Hill Inn, in the Yorkshire Dales, on Friday after going to watch an Oasis tribute band.
They have been unable to leave because of a fallen power line and snow blocking the main routes out.
Manager Nicola Townsend said everyone had remained in good spirits.
Guests at the inn, which is 1,732ft (528m) above sea level, woke up to about 3ft (0.9m) of snow on Saturday.

1638116214084.png

1638116237712.png

1638116223827.png

A post on the inn's Facebook page on Sunday said they had been advised that more power cables had come down so no one was able to leave yet.
Speaking earlier, Ms Townsend said 61 people had so far spent two nights here, with many, including members of the band, having to set up camp in the pub's lounge.
She said 40 were pre-booked guests while others had gone to the pub for a drink on Friday.
She said staff had put on activities to keep people entertained, including a quiz and board games, and people had enjoyed a "chilled night".
"I tried to do a best dressed snowman competition yesterday, but it was so cold and the wind was so severe we didn't achieve that," she added.

One of the guests, Martin Overton, said the atmosphere was "very good" with "plenty of beer available".
His wife, Stephanie, added: "I'm quite chilled about being stranded, it's quite exciting but we're missing our son who is with his nana. I am wondering how long we will be here for though."
Elsewhere in North Yorkshire, the after-effects of the severe weather have continued to cause disruption.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said they had been called to fallen power cables, in places including Hunmanby, Kilburn and High Birstwith.

There have been dozens of power cuts leaving hundreds of residents without power and most trains between York and Scotland have been cancelled as the the East Coast Mainline is closed between Newcastle and Edinburgh.
North Yorkshire County Council said staff together with emergency and utilities services continued to work together to deal with the aftermath of the storm.
A spokesperson said services were carrying out checks on people who may need extra help, particularly in areas affected by power outages.
Yellow weather warnings for snow and ice remain in place across large parts of Yorkshire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-59446663

I have just spent 15 minutes getting the frozen snow off the car what a ball ache, at least with luck it wont put any more down as it has predicted 0 degrees overnight.

Was without power for 12 hours yesterday and many of the roads were blocked, mainly due to drifting as it catches the wind on the tops, some due to poor driving skills by some drivers.

View from my garden

261439806_10225563702786805_953987924509460121_n.jpg

Was without power for 12 hours yesterday and many of the roads were blocked, mainly due to drifting as it catches the wind on the tops, some due to poor driving skills by some drivers.
View from my garden

I am glad we didn't get anywhere near that amount here my car doesn't like snow on untreated side roads.

aheadbutt

Driver stated trying to get to a winter wonderland attraction in Yorkshire before sliding back down this hill.
A timely reminder regarding necessity of travel in such conditions, as well as opting for suitable winter tyres and not trusting the sat nav.

1638126858847.png

When the power lines get wet and then freeze and then the ice collects on them, that's when there's trouble here.
Those photos above remind me of home sweet home. I'm not sure how much snow it would take to bring things to a standstill in my area since there is a large supply of snow plows and then roads get salted. When it gets really cold, roads can get turned into ice rinks.
Schools close for the day from time to time here but we don't get pounded like some of the other states.

We don't need much snow to bring everything to a halt here they only grit the main routes so if you live mile's away from a main road and don't have a 4 X 4 you are fairly screwed

We have about an inch (we are on the North / East Yorkshire border) - but its going now. The dog nearly took himself out on the black ice though. Unfortunately he charges everywhere despite being 13 and not realising until it's too late that his body won't do that! Bless him!

don't have a 4 X 4 you are fairly screwed

When we first got our house I could have used one of those because I didn't know that our street wouldn't be plowed (they get plowed now). Luckily we are one street in so it's only about 100 yards of road to the main one but the trick was not to stop. You stop, you're stuck. Or you have to rock your car out, start shoveling or wait for a good Samaritan.
Even here, I'm surprised at drivers not knowing how to properly rock their car out after getting stuck. They'll tend to gas it and then gas it again which won't do anything.

My son is in Richmond, VA at the minute working (until the 18th now) and I'm hoping he's ok as they tend to get quite a bit over there, though I'm told it can be worse in jan, feb time.

tend to get quite a bit over there
They do. Lots of mountain ranges there.
I was curious so I checked the weather. Luckily, it's going to be downright pleasant for the next ten days, but some rain. That makes it unlikely for VA to get swamped with snow anytime soon.
Driving through there kills your gas mileage because of all the steep roads.

Latest posts

Back