Snow.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing here are any members struggling?

1644165282270.png
1644165394809.png

Assuming that's our old friend the A66. Always fun visiting my parents when they lived in Appleby.

Its a lock in!!!

Years ago me and a mate did a cycle tour of Yorkshire - Ended up camping outside Tan Hill pub in March. Trouble was the Pub never opened and next morning 4inch of snow covered the tent.

Not snow here but lots of wind and hail all day. Power was off for most of it as well.
My nephew took his grandmother from Ireland to Cumbria yesterday and after he dropped her off he went to pick up a car for his uncle. He was told Scotland. Turned out it was in the highlands and the snow was very deep all round. His heater in the car packed up on the way up and he was sat in the car for 6 hrs with hat scarf gloves and still took about 2 hrs in front of the fire to thaw out lol

My understanding is you don't get a ridiculous amount of snow or that's it's occasional? I would guess that the northern parts can get some. It's always a big deal on Doctor Who if there's snow. That's my reference--TV.
We get slammed fairly often but the cities have gotten it down pretty well and they even pre-salt roads with a fleet of snow plows to follow. That strategy can be nullified if you get days of sub-zero where the salt won't be effective or some back to back weather fronts. Doesn't happen too often.
The worst is when there's rain that turns to ice which collects on the power lines and brings them down.
It's funny here in the States because experience is so varied. In a state that rarely gets snow gets snow, they'll close everything down even if there's just an inch in the ground.
We learn, as drivers here in Michigan, from the get-go how to drive in it. It's not complicated--distance and more distance between you and the car in front plus begin stopping for a traffic light a 100 yards/meters away. Don't stomp on the brake. I guess there's one bit that requires practice--what to do if you do start to slide.

My understanding is you don't get a ridiculous amount of snow or that's it's occasional?

Spot on and we still don't cope well when it hits, a lot of people run winter tyres which are safer but when stuck behind a queue of cars struggling in the snow on normal tyres there doesn't seem much point in the expense for the amount of snow we get.

I have never used winter tyres i prefer common sense if i struggle to get out of our untreated (salted) side roads i phone work and tell them i cannot make it and go back to bed ;)

Spot on and we still don't cope well when it hits, a lot of people run winter tyres which are safer but when stuck behind a queue of cars struggling in the snow on normal tyres there doesn't seem much point in the expense for the amount of snow we get.

I have never used winter tyres i prefer common sense if i struggle to get out of our untreated side roads phone work and tell them you cannot make it and go back to bed
I always use "a relative" on HBF and elsewhere so as not to reveal too much or point out a guilty party. I have a relative who, all of a sudden, started buying snow tires. I'm thinking, "Why would you do that?" Of course, you need viable tires but that's all-year round. Snow tires aren't going to help you if you're not already doing the smart thing.
Like I said, you aren't the only ones who don't cope well. I struggle with the obviousness of it--bad road equals more distance and lower speed.
There is definitely a point, no matter how good you are at driving in snow/inclement weather, where you shouldn't. I got caught in one of those situations--the roads, for fifteen miles on the way home, were an ice skating rink and I'm not exaggerating. You could go five miles an hour and tap the brake and you would slide. I had a headache by the time I got home.

My understanding is you don't get a ridiculous amount of snow or that's it's occasional? I would guess that the northern parts can get some. It's always a big deal on Doctor Who if there's snow. That's my reference--TV.
We get slammed fairly often but the cities have gotten it down pretty well and they even pre-salt roads with a fleet of snow plows to follow. That strategy can be nullified if you get days of sub-zero where the salt won't be effective or some back to back weather fronts. Doesn't happen too often.
The worst is when there's rain that turns to ice which collects on the power lines and brings them down.
It's funny here in the States because experience is so varied. In a state that rarely gets snow gets snow, they'll close everything down even if there's just an inch in the ground.
We learn, as drivers here in Michigan, from the get-go how to drive in it. It's not complicated--distance and more distance between you and the car in front plus begin stopping for a traffic light a 100 yards/meters away. Don't stomp on the brake. I guess there's one bit that requires practice--what to do if you do start to slide.
Oh yes, rain that freezes when it hits the road is really scary because you often don’t find out until you touch the brake. The first time I experienced it was driving out of Montreal in rush hour a few days before Christmas. I saw the ditch fast approaching but somehow managed to save it. That too is something that doesn’t often occur here.

There was a touch of sleet yesterday, that was it. Its been an incredibly mild winter here so far, only a few light frosts.

Latest posts

Back