So I at least I know what an infection looks like now...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My session IPA has got the pox...I was a little concerned when I took the dry hop spider out but I went to keg today and this is what I found. I've tried taking the pelicle off with sterile spoon but its all the way through? In hindsight it was probably the hopspider that caused the problem.

box.jpg

Can it be saved or is it a dump and bleach all my kit?

Last edited:
In my experience a light pellicle just on the surface may or may not still have drinkable beer underneath it but you need to draw the beer off without disturbing the pellicle. If you get any of the white stuff into the beer it'll spoil it.
A heavy pellicle will doom your brew as will disturbing the pellicle which I'm afraid you have already done.
You will definitely need to blitz your kit with bleach or something. Take off any taps afterwards and bleach these seperately as they are often the source.

Ah, my thought was lift as much of the **** off using a slotted spoon and see if it was clear underneath.

I'll ditch it and nuke the peco, FV bucket, hopspider and hop spider with bleach.

I don't fancy getting it into the keezer beer lines.

Latest posts

Back