So who goes Sea Fishing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fancy having a go at occasional sea fishing since I am not too far from the S/SE coast. That's initially from the beach, or perhaps rocks, or maybe a pier or jetty. Boat fishing maybe later. Trouble is I have no experience whatsoever of any sort of fishing/angling although my grown up sons are slightly keen coarse anglers. So I am looking for guidance on how to get started. From what I have picked up from talking to people and reading and videos on the web, the basic kit is either lightish for spinning for mackerel or other small predator fish and in that case I could get a telescopic rod, or a beach caster set up say based on a 12' rod. I don't want to spend shed loads at this point but on the other hand don't want to buy too cheap in case it falls to pieces soon after buying as seems to happen sometimes by reading the reviews, so really something fairly modest but fit for purpose. And It would be good if what I bought covered most situations. But I am not too bothered about having kit that can cross over to inland fishing because I am unlikely to do that. Last is it worth getting a 'complete' kit of all the items you are told you need which perhap saves a few £s, or is it best to make up your own set of equipment buying separately and buying what you actually need.
So if there are any keen sea anglers out there, what advice would you give a complete novice like me to get set up with the basics?
All comments gratefully received
Thanks
athumb..

Last edited:
I do a bit of fishing...but rarely sea. But...advice for buying gear...
Decide where you will fish,your target species ( this could be seasonal)and your budget.
I'd go to a tackle shop near to where you want to fish and ask advice etc on gear and fishing spots. If they're any good they'll take time to get you started and not just try to sell you the most expensive stuff.

I've fished in salt water for many years from the shore and boats. These days, because of my age and arthritis I fish with light tackle and lures. Gone are the big beach rods and heavy boxes full of lead weights and bait. I ventured into the world of SWFF (salt water fly fishing) this year and caught my first bass on a fly.

It's a minefield for beginners these days as there's so many different ways to fish in the salt from LRF ('light rock fishing' for mini species with ultra light tackle) to heavy tackle fishing for blue fin tuna, sharks, skate etc if you like it large. The time of year, location and species play a major part of determining what tackle you need.

My advice is to hold back on spending until you're sure what area of salt water fishing you want to do. There is no such thing as 'all round' tackle! First ask yourself if you'd be happy fishing from a storm beach in January into an onshore force 8 gale for winter cod; or you'd prefer to fish sitting in a deckchair with a couple of bottles in the cool box watching the world go by on a sunny day.

My biggest bass this year: 11.5lb. To give you an idea of the tackle....
Rod: 9' 6" HTO Shore Game
Reel: Shimano Sustain 4000
DSCF3603.JPG

I use my coarse tackle for holiday sea angling, a carp or pike rod for ledgering or a spinning rod for lures.
This summer I used a light avon type rod for touch ledgering in a sheltered creek mouth for lots
of exciting sport - mainly bass, wrasse and pollack with the odd bream.

I usually try and use bait I've freshly dug such as lug and ragworm which is preferable to anything you can buy
although this summer I fished with a local who only fishes lures and catches more than his share.

Knowing the state of the tide is essential, I tend to look at the timetable for the week when I'm on holiday
and plan my fishing round that.
For ledgering the couple of hours before high tide either at dawn or dusk tend to be the best time.
For fishing lures/spinning you can find rocks/ gullies which are only exposed at low tide which are great
for predatory fish then fish through the tide as it floods.

A boat trip with all the gear provided would be an easy way to start ( so long as you've got good sea legs
- I turn green as soon as the boat enters open water sick... ! )
Or maybe one of your sons could sort you out with some tackle to fish off a pier, good as you can fish straight
into deeper water and maybe glean a little info from the locals.

@West wind - that is a mightily impressive bass athumb.. Must have given you a hell of a fight !!

This was a chunky Wrasse of approx 4.5lb I caught ( and returned ) this summer
IMG_20200821_190643839 (1).jpg

I do as much sea angling as I can, mostly afloat - kayak and chartered boats. I'm not one for sitting for hours behind rods so if fishing from the shore it's a mobile approach I prefer, lure fishing for bass - where I live in Dorset there are some great marks. I agree with tanglefoot, a place on a charter boat is a good starting point; if you get a good skipper who is happy to accommodate beginners and provide the gear. Photo of a bass (46cm) and mackerel I caught off my kayak weekend before last:
IMG_20200927_105442721.jpg

All the gear no idea here 😂 well not quite. Been sea angling for a good 18 years. Grew up in Cornwall and now living in Essex. I’ll fish for anything but mainly ray and smoothound. Give me a pm if you fancy any advice or a trip out 🍺

I have been sea fishing, boat, beach , rocks and piers now for about 45 yrs. First things you need are warm,wind and weatherproof clothing, and a good pair of boots. Then you need to decide what type of fishing you want to do, Boat or shore. Tackle, bait presentation ,rigs and costs are all different.
For shore fishing you would prob be best getting a 2 piece 12-13ft rod and your sons can prob help with a big pit fixed spool reel (Spod). Rod rest and a tackle box you can sit on. 20 -30 lb line, 3,4 and 5oz leads, then go down to a beach and practice casting until you get used to the rod, reel and different leads. One of the most hated thing about pier fishing is when someone cannot cast and casts over everyones lines and drags then in in tangles or snags them onto rocks. So learn to cast in a straight line.
Check where you want to fish at low water so you know the lie of the land and can pick spots to come to at high water.
Ask at the local tackle shops , they will always help.
Never give up. Rod hours are always needed to catch fish.

Was fishing every weekend in my teens. Grew up in centre of London and fished lakes out near Heathrow. Saturday all through night to Sunday afternoon. Then a friend of mine moved to Dorset and we started sea fishing chartering a Fishing boat with a Skipper 2-3 times a year out from Weymouth. After moving to Essex 20 years ago I did the same quite a few times fishing off the Essex coast. Not been for ages now but really enjoyed it when I did.

I've fished in salt water for many years from the shore and boats. These days, because of my age and arthritis I fish with light tackle and lures. Gone are the big beach rods and heavy boxes full of lead weights and bait. I ventured into the world of SWFF (salt water fly fishing) this year and caught my first bass on a fly.

It's a minefield for beginners these days as there's so many different ways to fish in the salt from LRF ('light rock fishing' for mini species with ultra light tackle) to heavy tackle fishing for blue fin tuna, sharks, skate etc if you like it large. The time of year, location and species play a major part of determining what tackle you need.

My advice is to hold back on spending until you're sure what area of salt water fishing you want to do. There is no such thing as 'all round' tackle! First ask yourself if you'd be happy fishing from a storm beach in January into an onshore force 8 gale for winter cod; or you'd prefer to fish sitting in a deckchair with a couple of bottles in the cool box watching the world go by on a sunny day.

My biggest bass this year: 11.5lb. To give you an idea of the tackle....
Rod: 9' 6" HTO Shore Game
Reel: Shimano Sustain 4000
View attachment 34150

OMG, you've put your reel down on the sand 😱😳🙈

that is a mightily impressive bass athumb.. Must have given you a hell of a fight !!

Yes, it was a bit of a troublemaker. Hooked at an estuary mark in fast flowing water which didn't help.

That's a lovely wrasse too. One of my favorite salt water species. I love deep water rock marks for wrasse and pollock.

OMG, you've put your reel down on the sand 😱😳🙈

No worries, it's six years old and reserved for the 'lively' days when the kelp is in the trees and staying on two feet is the priority😊

DSCF3644.JPG

After a day in the surf I can strip, clean, re-lube and reassemble it in less than half an hour!

My newest reel: Shimano Twin Power. Note the use of the hatwink...

DSCF3669.JPG

A sea trout from a short session last night. Returned asap or risk a big fine. Not a problem for me as I return everything.

DSCF3725.JPG

Done a bit over the years, I never got sea sick until I went boat fishing 🤮

Most of the fishing I've done has been coarse though and got seriously into carp fishing in my younger days. No time for it now though my lad (9) has said he wants some fishing gear for Xmas so it may be time to dust off the old gear.

I've often thought about getting a little beach/pier/rock fishing kit though, we often holiday near the sea and it would be cool to lob the mackerel feathers out on the off chance of some fresh fish for the barby. Also my missus hates fish/shellfish of any description so it will have the added bonus of annoying her 😅

Done a bit over the years, I never got sea sick until I went boat fishing 🤮

Most of the fishing I've done has been coarse though and got seriously into carp fishing in my younger days. No time for it now though my lad (9) has said he wants some fishing gear for Xmas so it may be time to dust off the old gear.

I've often thought about getting a little beach/pier/rock fishing kit though, we often holiday near the sea and it would be cool to lob the mackerel feathers out on the off chance of some fresh fish for the barby. Also my missus hates fish/shellfish of any description so it will have the added bonus of annoying her 😅

I used to go boat fishing in the north sea as a young un. My grandad had a boat moored on Tyne dock. (He had crab pots too)
Never bothered again after he sadly passed away. Always hankered to, probably why I had the same urge to home brew after seeing his demijohns bubbling away and tasting his rice wine, sweet sherry etc 🙂

I have a caravan down the coast and befriended a Scouser who's best mate passed away this year.
They used to go beach casting together and I said I'd be willing to tag along with him on occasion if he wanted to carry on.
I've a rod and reel lined up from a good friend and will give it a go next year covid permitting 🙄

Like your Mrs I'm not a great lover of fish unless wrapped in batter and newspaper. 😁
And shellfish is a no go.🤢

That's great your young lad asking for fishing tackle, beats video games.
Great chance for you and him to spend quality time together and get some fresh air. Enjoy 👍

Get it bought! I've taken both my lads fishing...the eldest isn't interested..and gets bored and will make a nuisance of himself..the youngest is a natural..but only dabbles on holiday...

Latest posts

Back