So. Who remembers Beer Festivals? Which/where was your last?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
Thought about this as i woke this morning.

Ive really missed 1 or 2 this year. Strangely those involving steam trains... im no spotter but i think that BFs held at these places are fab.
I was disappointed this year with the lack of The GCR BF and i was really looking forwards to one in Chesterfield called Ales on Rails and meeting a pal to celebrate his birthday.

The last one i went to was a local one at the Polish Club. It was great! Back in March i think. Theres always so much and so tasty. No choice but to drink in thirds. 😆

Where was your last?

The last Beer Festival and I think the only one I have ever been to was in Burton on Trent around 1978.

I went to one a couple of years back near me. Some cracking ales.

It was just me and my dad, and we sat on a table with chap and his Mrs.

We’d been chatting for a couple hours and sampling local beers when his Mrs. went to top up their glasses and my dad went to the loo to make space for more beer. That’s when this guy commented that they were a crazy couple and we’re swingers on the pull. He’d also asked how long me and my dad were together.

I quickly pointed out that he was dad and we weren’t into that sort of thing. They left soon after but did give us the their festival payment cards with a few quid left on.

But we had a good natter and some great beers.

Last edited:
I remember the beer festivals in Leeds, Bradford and surrounding areas in the 1980's and 1990's and a couple in the 2000's. Well that's not entirely true, I remember that we went but the events are a little blurry. The ones where you bought tickets for your beer at the entrance, you always over bought as it was cheaper and ended up over drinking.

That’s when this guy commented that they were a crazy couple and we’re swingers on the pull.
They weren't named Donald and Jacqueline were they?
Screenshot_20201009-170549~2.png

On the subject of compromising encounters...
A few years ago when my eldest was in junior school I was at one of those dreaded classmate birthday parties... Saturday morning in the church hall..then on to some pizza place in town. I always got to take the kids to parties and didn't like it very much..so used to let the kids get on with it and sat in my own with a paper to read in the corner to avoid the mindless small talk
Anyway this particular party,I was there in the corner when a chap I know,whose daughter was in my lads class,turned up and came over. I got on ok with him and didn't mind,his Mrs turned up a few minutes later and asked if I was going on into town later with the party..I said I couldn't as I was a bit tied up in the afternoon with some jobs to do.
Her husband casually commented I could come round and tie his Mrs up if I liked!! She smiled and nodded...I politely declined...they just shrugged and said no problem!
Mrs Clint was quite amused by it all when I told her!

A friend of ours was telling us over a few drinks one night, alas not at a beer festival, that apparently pampas grass growing in the front garden was a sign that the occupants were swingers, we asked him how he knew and he just grinned and said he thought everyone knew. When me and the Mrs were walking home after our night out,we walked past my mates old house...sure enough, pampas grass growing in the front garden.!
Back to the beer fest subject though I went to The Potteries beer festival last year, held in the old 'Spode' pottery works in Stoke..great beers but it was absolutely freezing in there, we said we'd go again this year but wrap up more.Pity we won't get the chance.

Love beer festivals. It would have been the only reason I'd come back to Blighty apart from decent curry. Used to go to WImborne, Dorchester, Southampton, Portsmouth, (stopped going to Bournemouth because it became a **** commercial interest run by the BIC) Wareham and Poole.
The Poole festival at the St Aldhem's Centre was by far the best.
The Banks Arms one went downhill in my opinion, but the one at Tuckers Maltings in the West used to be a good 'n, too.

Colchester winter in Feb - great beers, bit of a rush to get back for school run but easy to sink 6 or 8 in two hours or so. Gutted to miss 2 chapell festivals this year... Decided to go to the Witherspoons beer fest on Tuesday next week as some kind of compensation... If still allowed...

A friend of ours was telling us over a few drinks one night, alas not at a beer festival, that apparently pampas grass growing in the front garden was a sign that the occupants were swingers, we asked him how he knew and he just grinned and said he thought everyone knew. When me and the Mrs were walking home after our night out,we walked past my mates old house...sure enough, pampas grass growing in the front garden.!
Back to the beer fest subject though I went to The Potteries beer festival last year, held in the old 'Spode' pottery works in Stoke..great beers but it was absolutely freezing in there, we said we'd go again this year but wrap up more.Pity we won't get the chance.
I also heard this. When I bought our current house the first job I did was get the digger in the front garden to dig the stuff up. Bot sure they were swingers but well known for shagging around town

Every year my Brother in Law and I go to the Baldock Beer Festival - loads of beer and at least three bands during the night. No entrance fee and good food on offer. Sadly not this year so we attended the Beer 52 on line beer festival - good fun but not as good as the Baldock one!

The last 'good' one I went to was in torquay somewhere nearly 10 years ago. They had over sold the venue so was tickets only, but that soon turned into mayhem.

My mate was already in their and charmed two braclet ticket things off some particularly svelt ladies and palmed them over to me to get in.

I drank so much cider I ended needing a number 2, and in a well used port pottie that's not a nice experience 😂

I actually don't go to many beer festivals, I think I've been more disappointed than happy at these things. What I do like to do is organise beer tastings with friends. There's usually about 10-15 of us, we each chip in £20 or so and I source a bunch of beers for us to try. We come over to my place and sample them.

I did a "lockdown edition" where I made a list of 5 or so beers, where to get them and sent it out to those who wanted to join. We did a Zoom beer fest and it worked out really well.

Last was in Horsham, which was enjoyable because it was a chance to catch up with old friends but the voucher system was a bit rubbish. You had to buy what you thought you'd drink at the beginning of the session. Before that, the Wallington Festival was always good, organised by Sutton and Croydon CAMRA. Trouble was the local council had allowed Wallington Hall to fall into disrepair and so it was closed.

It was frustrating that after years of trying to get spouse along, she'd finally gone, had a great time and vowed to go again next year. Aaaargh!

I actually don't go to many beer festivals, I think I've been more disappointed than happy at these things. What I do like to do is organise beer tastings with friends. There's usually about 10-15 of us, we each chip in £20 or so and I source a bunch of beers for us to try. We come over to my place and sample them.

I did a "lockdown edition" where I made a list of 5 or so beers, where to get them and sent it out to those who wanted to join. We did a Zoom beer fest and it worked out really well.
Lockdown for me has been great. Because you know... People 😂

Great fun idea, might try it myself.

I've done plenty of whisky festivals but never a beer festival. I need to sort my life out and get them in my calendar.

Back