So. Who remembers Beer Festivals? Which/where was your last?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the Norwich Beer Festival in October last year. Was going this year but sadly not.

Certainly hosted in a pretty amazing building, much better than the usual “village hall” type of place...

St Andrew’s Hall Norwich

Last edited:
Went to a few in Truro which were good and could get messy! but to my shame have failed to get to the ones up here in Colchester which are great from what I’ve heard

Well, BAB Brugge last year in the beginning of February, which really is international (many UK visitors, but also from all around the world). Will probably not be organised next year, and SWMBO would probably not have me visiting it at that point in time.

Last was in Horsham, which was enjoyable because it was a chance to catch up with old friends but the voucher system was a bit rubbish. You had to buy what you thought you'd drink at the beginning of the session. Before that, the Wallington Festival was always good, organised by Sutton and Croydon CAMRA. Trouble was the local council had allowed Wallington Hall to fall into disrepair and so it was closed.

It was frustrating that after years of trying to get spouse along, she'd finally gone, had a great time and vowed to go again next year. Aaaargh!
with the vouchers system its usual in my experience that they cash in unused vouchers at the end. One I go to gives you a pre paid "beer card" and they simply mark off with a cross each drink you take. Others simply good ole fashioned CASH to which I actually prefer.

Just remembered. I went to one in Belgium 3 years on the trot in Leuven - the home of stella (also did a brewery tour there too) - cant recall the name. We would all go over on the Eurostar, stay at the Park Inn by Radisson.

The festival itself was located at a huge exhibition centre out of town which ran free buses back and forth. The Saturday was always done in "fancy dress" as "superheroes" which was always popular with the ladies and Belgian TV crews. It operated a token system and with more than 3000 beers on offer what could possibly go wrong!!

Then there were the bars in town and the ONLY Indian restaurant which we would "enjoy" as a finale on the Saturday evening.

I could recommend that whole event as a "lads only" type weekend away "playing golf"......

Been to quite a few over the years. Always enjoyed the GBBF over the years but Earls court is just a bit to big. Best of all was the old homebrew festivals that ran for several years. A weekend of as much fun you can have with your clothes on.

Last one we went to was the Kentish Beer Festival at the Three Tuns Lower Halstow, its usually held over the august bank holiday for 3 days. We sail over there from Essex & go up the creek in the dinghies for the day, Great pub, Great beer, Excellent food & live music. Cracking weekend. Didnt go ahead this year due to covid. Hoping to make it there next year.

We went to one in London a while ago now that was like a beer circus. It was this wierd sort of dark bizarre version of a circus where strange things happened and it wasn’t quite what it seemed. Fantastic lol

St Albans beer festival (SABF) a few years ago was the last one I was at, but I can't say I stayed particularly long: good selection of ales but nowhere to sit down - can't be doing with drinking standing up...

Last one I was at before that was the one at Postlip near Cheltenham - that was flipping brilliant: about a mile walk from the road, and everyone used to bring a tent to sleep in the field next door.

First was in Weis (Wies???) just outside Brussels in 1972. Superb weekend. Last was Swale CAMRA Bierfest at Kemsley, Sittingbourne, 2016. Good ales (21) and good band. Pity the hall was almost like an aircraft hanger. Several in between, mostly just OK. Living in Normandy so not many festivals at all. I believe there are a few homebrewers trying to go commercial in the area so fingers crossed for when Covid disappears.

Since having kids and a lack of readily available baby sitters I haven't been to one for years. The few times I've been to my local one (Worcester) have been fun though, and generally result in getting pretty tipsy. My brother and I did the whole day there once, got in early and got a table with some friends, spent the day sampling the ales and demolishing the massive picnic spread we'd brought between us. Got messy in the evening when I decided to sample the dark side (cider), the festival takes place on the racecourse and apparently we were trying to jump the hurdles on the way home 🤣

I do the Peterborough Beer Festival every year. It always takes place over August Bank Holiday weekend and I usually go on the Friday. Hundreds of beers, some good food outside and lots of decent music on the stage. I actually really look forward to it and missed it this year. Hopefully, it will be back in 2021.

P.S. I have pampas grass in my BACK garden. No idea what that says about me.

Lockdown for me has been great. Because you know... People 😂

Great fun idea, might try it myself.

Myself and two other brewers swop beer (in a car park which looks dodgy but we are all social distanced!) then meet up on line and taste and give our reviews and opinions. We have done two of these in the last few weeks and they really work. Still like the beer festivals though as I am too old to go to Rock festivals :cool:

Three pals and I always attended the SIBA organised one at Tuckers Maltings in April, the Camra ones in Plymouth in June and in Falmouth in September. By trying each other’s halves, or thirds its surprising how many beers you can sample. I really miss them this year.

I was disappointed this year with the lack of The GCR BF and i was really looking forwards to one in Chesterfield called Ales on Rails and meeting a pal to celebrate his birthday.
Now that sounds a good idea, there was a sort of one in 2019 at local railway, more down to folk music, but was a beer tent, limited how much I could drink as would need to take push bike for a walk home, not because drunk, but hill too steep, must get an ebike.

Not allowed to drink when volunteering, but does seem a good idea to draw the visitors in, but no connection between each carriage, and around 4 carriages is maximum in these Welsh hills, so was it served on the train, or in a tent at station?

Now that sounds a good idea, there was a sort of one in 2019 at local railway, more down to folk music, but was a beer tent, limited how much I could drink as would need to take push bike for a walk home, not because drunk, but hill too steep, must get an ebike.

Not allowed to drink when volunteering, but does seem a good idea to draw the visitors in, but no connection between each carriage, and around 4 carriages is maximum in these Welsh hills, so was it served on the train, or in a tent at station?
Late reply. Sorry. @ericmark 😂 oh it was served in nice big tents at 2 stations and also limited supply. Bottles on the steam trains.
Entry ticket included a return train ride back and forth to the other beer tent/station. It was superb. Taxi home lol.

Woop woop. Looks like the GCR Beer Fest for September has every possibility of going ahead.
In addition the Nottingham Robin Hood has moved to Trent Bridge Cricket ground but i fear a tad cool for October.
None the less.
Good times!
Anyone else got any news of festivals likely to happen?

Last one we went to was the Kentish Beer festival at the Three Tuns Lower Halstow, held over August bank holiday, a group of 15 of us sailed over from Benfleet in half a dozen boats anchored at the top of Stangate creek & went up to lower halstow on the last of the morning tide. Just got there before the tide went! Had a walk then went in the pub as it opened at 11.00am. Had dinner there & drank beer all afternoon in the sun. Very busy, Two excellent live bands, horny barmaids & glorious beer. My favorite was Old dairy brewery Uber brew which was gorgeous. Left at about 8:00pm to go back to the boats where we had a nightcap.
We did feel a bit peaky the next morning! It is a small festival but one of the best i have been to. Cant wait to go again!

I must be suffering from the lockdown dt's , i posted about this festival back in october!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back