So who's growing chillies 2020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest I used to seriously worry about cross pollination. But as I concentrate more on super hots, well would there really be any negative if you ended up with a cross between a reaper & naga?. I don't ever look to cross pollinate, but take less anal steps to prevent it than I used to.

I do save seeds, not so much from perennials, the reason the milder strain comes through in cross pollinated chillie is because they are a natural strain. Look out for bargains like these from the supermarket, more seeds than you can poke a stick at.
004.JPG

I had some Birds Eye which lasted about 5 years before it eventually succumbed to the weather.
I find drying the best way to keep them, then I can pull them out to make room for other crops the following year. Capsicums I have started growing from scratch each year they give a better crop than second and third year. I have one plot of 24 California Wonder makes a great Capsicum and chillie relish whats left over goes into the freezer.

Trouble with saving supermarket seeds is that many of them are F1 hybrids, meaning that the seeds may not be viable...

Never considered cross pollination...I did wonder about a couple of plants last year in the tunnel as they were "mystery" varieties we didn't recall growing..

I've only ever seen one and that was the God Stopper, not from the supermarket from seed seller.
From the supermarket I have used the California Reaper and those pictured are Birds Eye.
Never ever seen a hybrid strain in a supermarket

I've always just let mine do their thing.... does anyone pinch the top out to encourage branching? I've also tried keeping a few potted plants on the point of drying out which made them hotter.

I've always just let mine do their thing.... does anyone pinch the top out to encourage branching? I've also tried keeping a few potted plants on the point of drying out which made them hotter.
I have pinched out the capsicum, doesn't seem to produce any more but it does make them less susceptible to wind damage.
You should try cutting one back in the poly tunnel and covering it up with fleece as an experiment for overwinter, see if it grows again. Chillies I have had good crops second and third year, capsicums not as good but I may try leaving in my California Wonders and enriching the soil the following spring, which I didn't do last time. Tomatoes I have cut off at the base and got a second harvest.

All the time with mine last year as otherwise to tall and leggy. It does encourage outward growth that way and supposedly more fruit which to be honest whilst not a great harvest last year was still better due to pinching.

All the time with mine last year as otherwise to tall and leggy. It does encourage outward growth that way and supposedly more fruit which to be honest whilst not a great harvest last year was still better due to pinching.
Depends on the plant though doesn't it? Some plants are naturally (or possibly bred to be) very compact, and some are very leggy. I tend to choose the plant's final position based upon its growth habit and then just let it go...... Generally end up with more fruit than I know what to do with anyway

I've been going through some old seeds and they look fine so I think I will plant a few tomorrow in a heated propagator and see if any germinate. If not I will either buy some new seeds or just some plants for this year. Varieties include:

Naga
Fatali
Yellow 7
White Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
Chinese White
Rocoto Yellow

I even managed to find my old grow light which still works.

I've been going through some old seeds and they look fine so I think I will plant a few tomorrow in a heated propagator and see if any germinate. If not I will either buy some new seeds or just some plants for this year. Varieties include:

Naga
Fatali
Yellow 7
White Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
Chinese White
Rocoto Yellow

Funny enough, I've some seeds from a few years back, half tempted to see if I can find them after moving house last summer and get em started under light. Seeds in theory shouldn't have a best before or used by date yet they do. But they should still work without issue.

Funny enough, I've some seeds from a few years back, half tempted to see if I can find them after moving house last summer and get em started under light. Seeds in theory shouldn't have a best before or used by date yet they do. But they should still work without issue.
I understand that heat and moisture severely affect the viability of seed. I have a dedicated compartment in the family fridge where I store my chilli seeds (other seeds have to fend for themselves in the garage :laugh8:). I've sown two 10 year old Dorset Naga seeds I found kicking around. Only one germinated, but was pleased with that athumb..

Naga
Fatali
Yellow 7
White Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
Chinese White
Rocoto Yellow

Great stuff, good luck with them

Back