So who's growing chillies 2020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When would everyone suggest potting the chillies out into an unheated greenhouse? I'm going to prick a few of the runty ones out and get them out of the house soon.
Probably not the most helpful answer, but it depends on the weather. Earliest I have is early April (I live in the south), other years I've waited until May. Peppers can sulk and you will stall their growth if you go too early. In any event I always put them out in the greenhouse during the day and bring them in at night over a two week period to harden them off. Just my two-penneth

Probably not the most helpful answer, but it depends on the weather. Earliest I have is early April (I live in the south), other years I've waited until May. Peppers can sulk and you will stall their growth if you go too early. In any event I always put them out in the greenhouse during the day and bring them in at night over a two week period to harden them off. Just my two-penneth

Cheers mate, i'm in Cornwall so things are usually a little a little earlier, maybe i'll leave it till April then! athumb..

My first sowing. Pleased with how they've grown, going to have to get them out in the greenhouse sooner rather than later....
IMG_20200311_184758802.jpg

OK so mine are doing really well on a south facing window sill and look really healthy. The question I have is when to move them out to the greenhouse? We've got an overnight low of 4C next week. Will that be too low and should I wait for it to warm up outside a bit more?

Growing 20 Scotch Bonnets, 4 AJ Lemon, 3 Carolina reaper, 3 basket of fire, 4 Cayenne Pepper, 3 Halapeno and 25 bell pepper plants. All are potted on but hoping the late frost does not do any damage

Mine have been in the greenhouse for about 3 weeks now. I do have a paraffin heater for those really cold nights, am a bit worried about the next few nights due to the forecast so may bring a few in. We normally go away the late May bank holiday weekend and they are normally all in there by then, but you can still get a late frost so it's hard to judge.

Many of mine are in their final pots already, which is unprecedented: a mixture of sunny weather and lockdown has meant the garden is more sorted than in any year previous.

I potted on my 8 plants into their final 10 litre pots and moved them into the greenhouse yesterday since it seems the weather is warming up quite a bit.
9kIx4XL.jpg

Most of them had started to sprout flowers after being kept in the smaller pots a bit too long so I snipped those off as the plants are still rather small (35cm for the tallest ones). I hope that was the right thing to do.

Latest posts

Back