So who's growing chillies 2020?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rocotos are flowering, really pretty:
IMG_20200603_203311286.jpg

Some decent fruit on Hungarian hot wax:
IMG_20200603_203337992.jpg

Best of my plants are probably Trinidad scorpion........
IMG_20200603_203415238.jpg

...and Dorset Naga:
IMG_20200603_203430604.jpg

They look great...them scorpions are serious stuff!
I lost my first batch of chillies and planted a second lot. They've done better and are all planted in the poly tunnel...they're not very big yet but have started thinking about getting a shift on with the recent hot weather.

My first year growing chillies and I don’t have much space so I planted 4 seeds, 2 Jalapeños and 2 F1 Apaches. One Apache didn’t do much, grew three sets of leaves then gave up. The other Apache is flowering now and reasonably bushy. The Jalapeños are a bit meagre, I thought they’d grow bigger but maybe the pot is too small. No flowers yet.

Attachments

• CC2B7687-D19A-4D6C-9560-37B0AADBB8F8.jpeg
    CC2B7687-D19A-4D6C-9560-37B0AADBB8F8.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 65160FAF-03B7-4960-8EC3-7BC8383B7E65.jpeg
    65160FAF-03B7-4960-8EC3-7BC8383B7E65.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 166
Here are mine. First attempt, so pretty happy. The purple jalapeno are doing well, the cayenne long slim are a bit slower and the Thai dragon are only flowering, but they are all growing. I've no idea when I should start harvesting - some of the purple jalapeno look ready to me?

IMG_20200606_102637.jpgIMG_20200606_102647.jpgIMG_20200606_102720.jpgIMG_20200606_102727.jpgIMG_20200606_102756.jpg

Think it's a failed crop for me this year. Habs and Jalapenos been in proto seedling mode for about 4 weeks. Next year, avoid kitchen windowsill... :(

I’ve got my first Apache poking through clapa
933B438E-44B4-45E7-B875-1BF447E09753.jpeg

Both Jalapeños have had a decent growth spurt too so looking a bit more promising. Hopefully see some flowers on them soon....

This week's hot and sunny weather is working wonders for the chillis in the greenhouse. The Draky are growing big and fat with the first to show growing to 15cm:

GnHngrN.jpg

These are mild chillis and should be big enough to stuff with a filling and have with a mediterranean salad and some homebrew.

This week's hot and sunny weather is working wonders for the chillis in the greenhouse. The Draky are growing big and fat with the first to show growing to 15cm:

GnHngrN.jpg

These are mild chillis and should be big enough to stuff with a filling and have with a mediterranean salad and some homebrew.
Solid work there @foxbat !!!!

I'm behind this year but didn't think I'd be able to get anything done. All my veg plants even though smaller than normal are looking the healthiest they've ever been. I'll put some pics up when I hopefully get chillies - just got the buds at the moment I think.

My plants are behind where I would like them to be. I've allowed too much cover to grow up around the greenhouse and I reckon it's too shaded. Anyway, got some gnarly pods coming on my hots.
Fatalli:
IMG_20200722_202235022.jpg

Dorset Naga:
IMG_20200722_202254564.jpg

Trinidad scorpion:
IMG_20200722_202336677.jpg

Also got some lovely Rocotos, growing really well outside:
IMG_20200722_202515302.jpg

Mine have slowed down a lot, the weather has been appalling for about 6 weeks now, barely getting above 16c and no sun. Thankfully the aci sivri are doing ok and I have managed to pickle one jar so far. The ones I have outside are pathetic. A nice august would be most welcome

My plants are behind where I would like them to be. I've allowed too much cover to grow up around the greenhouse and I reckon it's too shaded. Anyway, got some gnarly pods coming on my hots.
Fatalli:
View attachment 29731

Dorset Naga:
View attachment 29732

Trinidad scorpion:
View attachment 29733

Also got some lovely Rocotos, growing really well outside:
View attachment 29734
Its heat which colours them up, looks like you have enough light, the growth looks healthy.
I have just planted mine, some Birds Eye and Habernero, really wanted Jalapeno still keeping an look out for them, 5 weeks of winter left.

Its heat which colours them up, looks like you have enough light, the growth looks healthy.
I have just planted mine, some Birds Eye and Habernero, really wanted Jalapeno still keeping an look out for them, 5 weeks of winter left.
Not sure about that mate. I've had chillies ripen into November and December in the greenhouse when there's light (which of course will result in heat under glass). I gave my dad some plants a few months ago from the same sowings and his plants have been abused but are dripping with ripe pods. His greenhouse is completely unshaded. The plants are in the same self-watering pots.

Not sure about that mate. I've had chillies ripen into November and December in the greenhouse when there's light (which of course will result in heat under glass). I gave my dad some plants a few months ago from the same sowings and his plants have been abused but are dripping with ripe pods. His greenhouse is completely unshaded. The plants are in the same self-watering pots.
Yes, my capsicums are still going and ripening in the middle of winter, but heat plays a big part in the colouring up. I have tomatoes I grow in the shade and they colour up fine.
Same for all the Solanaceae family.
https://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=91

Yes, my capsicums are still going and ripening in the middle of winter, but heat plays a big part in the colouring up. I have tomatoes I grow in the shade and they colour up fine.
Same for all the Solanaceae family.
https://cvp.cce.cornell.edu/submission.php?id=91
I guess to a greater or lesser extent light + glass = heat? I know where my plants should be given the weather we've had and they're behind because of shade (which I concede will result in a cooler microclimate in the greenhouse)

Latest posts

Back