So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weather is bloody awful for growing chillies without a heated greenhouse isn’t it?! This time last year we had plenty of sun and warm days so my plastic greenhouse was great, this year I’m still doing the Hokey Cokey of indoors and out. I hadn’t even put my plants into their final pots because I don’t really have indoor space for 5 big pots, but they were clearly pot bound in their 10cm pots so it has had to be done.

I put just one so far in the polytunnel and it seems ok. I lost all my turtle claw to pests! Got a couple of cayenne and jalapeno to fall back on. I can see me buying a few back up plants to be honest...as it happens a local garden centre has a craft fair on this weekend..with a local micro brewery stall...when I get up tomorrow I may nip there and kill lots of birds with one stone!

Grown everything from seed this year even Strawberries. Chillis are looking healthy in the greenhouse now - still in small pots but are growing.

I’m well behind this year. We had the coldest and dryers April on record, plus I was really busy working.

Attachments

• 337E2FD8-E613-454D-9E12-3CD330AAD9B7.jpeg
    337E2FD8-E613-454D-9E12-3CD330AAD9B7.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 69
I've had some Naga, Anahemin, Cayenne, Jalepeno and Habanero growing since mid March in a propagator. Moved the seedlings into larger pots in the conservatory yesterday.

Fingers crossed for a bumper batch so I can make fermented. Sauce again..

I've had some Naga, Anahemin, Cayenne, Jalepeno and Habanero growing since mid March in a propagator. Moved the seedlings into larger pots in the conservatory yesterday.

Fingers crossed for a bumper batch so I can make fermented. Sauce again..
Is there a recipe you have for that please?

Pretty much its as simple as chop them up, into a large jar. I add mustard seeds and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, and cover with brine made from smoked sea salt.. Make sure everything is under the level of fluid, and let it ferment! Once it's stopped bubbling away, blitz it and store in the fridge.

I'm sure others on this forum have their own ways/recipes, but I find chucking it together without defined quantities and leaving it to do its stuff works for me..

Pretty much its as simple as chop them up, into a large jar. I add mustard seeds and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, and cover with brine made from smoked sea salt.. Make sure everything is under the level of fluid, and let it ferment! Once it's stopped bubbling away, blitz it and store in the fridge.

I'm sure others on this forum have their own ways/recipes, but I find chucking it together without defined quantities and leaving it to do its stuff works for me..
Thanks, will give that a try.

Plants are coming along, think it might be time to put them in their final pots.

Not quite sure what size pot I should go for. Currently I have 15 plants in the conservatory, plan is to keep them there but space is extremely tight. I have some Jalapenos and Hungarian hot wax, I thought they would probably need a decent sized pot. The Super Tramp and Bolivian Rainbows, I was planning on using smaller pots. Any suggestions?

Oh and a few have already started flowering, I have read that some remove the flowers at this stage, some leave them alone....

Plants are coming along, think it might be time to put them in their final pots.

Not quite sure what size pot I should go for. Currently I have 15 plants in the conservatory, plan is to keep them there but space is extremely tight. I have some Jalapenos and Hungarian hot wax, I thought they would probably need a decent sized pot. The Super Tramp and Bolivian Rainbows, I was planning on using smaller pots. Any suggestions?

Oh and a few have already started flowering, I have read that some remove the flowers at this stage, some leave them alone....
Mine have started to flower, they are in the earth in the pollytunnel and are quite small compared to previous years. I’ll be removing the flowers today.

Most of mine are in their final places. Everything except the Rocoto (Tropical Orange, a 'Pubescens' variety) is behind where it should be - Rocotos tend to prefer a cooler environment and I've always found that they flower and fruit better outside.

I've never taken flowers off, I really don't think it is necessary. Interested to understand why we might do it?

Well in my case this year, with one thing and another, the plants are too short for my liking. My feeling is that when plants start to flower, it’s starting to think it’s life cycle is moving on.

If I remove the flowers, and feed with a low nitrogen feed (seaweed for me), it will put more energy into growth, bigger healthier plant should mean more chillies. I get a long season in the pollytunnel, so I’m not too worried about running out of season.

Well in my case this year, with one thing and another, the plants are too short for my liking. My feeling is that when plants start to flower, it’s starting to think it’s life cycle is moving on.

If I remove the flowers, and feed with a low nitrogen feed (seaweed for me), it will put more energy into growth, bigger healthier plant should mean more chillies. I get a long season in the pollytunnel, so I’m not too worried about running out of season.
Ok, that's not my experience, but if it works for you 👍

Few photos of my peppers
IMG_20210522_102446806.jpg
IMG_20210522_102455149.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_102502236.jpg
    IMG_20210522_102502236.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210522_102509597.jpg
    IMG_20210522_102509597.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210522_102514768.jpg