So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FatC - they need a lot of heat to germinate, then medium heat. Try putting the neck of a plastic drinks bottle over each seedling to give them their own mini greenhouse - or do you live in alaska.........

FatC - they need a lot of heat to germinate, then medium heat. Try putting the neck of a plastic drinks bottle over each seedling to give them their own mini greenhouse - or do you live in alaska.........
I’m in Derry, the plants themselves look healthy!?
I’ll post some pics!

That’s in the house

Attachments

• C00773AC-4164-4955-B0E1-76D731AE97FA.jpeg
    C00773AC-4164-4955-B0E1-76D731AE97FA.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 120
Has been a really odd year here (Somerset).
Most of the super-hots - Reapers, Scorpions etc. are really slow (about where I'd expect them to be early June), apart from the Scotch Bonnets, which are probably the best I've had in years.
The milder ones like Jalapeno, Kashmiri, Serrano, Ancho's are superb.
The Low/No heat peppers like Corno di Torro and Salad Fest are even better...

Not sweet peppers - mild chillies surely
Yep, they're hybrids. Draky is my favourite. Very big like a pepper but long shaped like a chilli and still has a very mild heat and a delicious flavour. Stuff with goats cheese, sun-dried toms and a sprinking of your favourite hotter chillis and enjoy in the sun with a pint of cold homebrew pilsner.

Yep, they're hybrids. Draky is my favourite. Very big like a pepper but long shaped like a chilli and still has a very mild heat and a delicious flavour. Stuff with goats cheese, sun-dried toms and a sprinking of your favourite hotter chillis and enjoy in the sun with a pint of cold homebrew pilsner.

That sounds tremendous.

Can I ask?

Is the picture below a greenfly, or other nasty, infestation.

The plant is an Apache Chilli that I brought for not much cash out of Homebase. It was fruiting well, and has stopped flowering. I’ve been away for the weekend and returned to find these bugs on the fruit and the leaves are still green, but have sticky or greasy feeling.

Friend of mine say to spray it with water with a small amount of detergent added. Will this cure it?

Otherwise I thinking I’ll harvest what I can off it and either hoof it in the bin, or cut it right back and see if it will shoot again.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

03B8C335-1989-42B0-A1C8-25747B603C3E.jpeg

Can I ask?

Is the picture below a greenfly, or other nasty, infestation.

The plant is an Apache Chilli that I brought for not much cash out of Homebase. It was fruiting well, and has stopped flowering. I’ve been away for the weekend and returned to find these bugs on the fruit and the leaves are still green, but have sticky or greasy feeling.

Friend of mine say to spray it with water with a small amount of detergent added. Will this cure it?

Otherwise I thinking I’ll harvest what I can off it and either hoof it in the bin, or cut it right back and see if it will shoot again.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

View attachment 53610
Looks like aphids to me. If you keep plants in the house they have no predators and can get out of control quickly. Yes soapy water (you may be able to dunk the plant upside down in a bucket of it) will do them no good at all. Might need to do it a few times.

Cheers

I’ve just sprayed it and rubbed as many as I can off it.

It will get dunked later, but not in my bottling bucket.

Shirley,
I have grown 8 plants from a dried chili off last years plant. All grown at various sizes and early on I had the same problem. I used to spray them with soapy water but never got shut properly so now I wet my hands in soapy water and rub the leaves and squash the little s****. Seems to work as not had any for a few months

Latest posts

Back