So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to have to get started soon. The weather's gone cold again but I might as well get my seed order in. I've got a couple of dozen seeds harvested from last year and a plant that I cut right back and overwintered in my home-office. I don't think it's dead. ;)

Disaster, checked the plants I’d over wintered ( started off too late last year) and decimated by aphids, all six gone, surprised they got hit so early and so strong in a week

I have followed ChiliChumps beginners guide on YouTube. I have a couple of questions, if anyone could help me.

This is my current setup and chilli seedlings:

I have planted a variety, I had hoped for a few more to come through, but hopefully I will get some decent seedlings to pot on. I was a bit slow putting the seedlings under my light, so they were a bit leggy.

Currently, i have them covered in the propagator, with the heat pad on. Is this correct, or should I turn the heat pad off?

I have noticed that a couple of the smaller seedlings have gone limp and fallen over (as you can see in the photo). I am not sure the reason behind this.

Finally, the seedlings leaves on occasion curl and point upwards? Not quite sure why, but I presume I was doing something wrong!

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

I have followed ChiliChumps beginners guide on YouTube. I have a couple of questions, if anyone could help me.

This is my current setup and chilli seedlings:

I have planted a variety, I had hoped for a few more to come through, but hopefully I will get some decent seedlings to pot on. I was a bit slow putting the seedlings under my light, so they were a bit leggy.

Currently, i have them covered in the propagator, with the heat pad on. Is this correct, or should I turn the heat pad off?

I have noticed that a couple of the smaller seedlings have gone limp and fallen over (as you can see in the photo). I am not sure the reason behind this.

Finally, the seedlings leaves on occasion curl and point upwards? Not quite sure why, but I presume I was doing something wrong!

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

I think that accepted wisdom is that you turn the heating off once germinated as it can cause them to become leggy. Also a humid environment with a lack of fresh air will encourage mould ('damping off'). The problem with germinating different varieties in the same propagator is that they come up at differing times. I do this and just play it by ear. The seedling that has keeled over looks like it could use a drink.

First sowing coming along nicely, 2nd sowing just starting to poke through
IMG_20210307_184824029.jpg

I think that accepted wisdom is that you turn the heating off once germinated as it can cause them to become leggy. Also a humid environment with a lack of fresh air will encourage mould ('damping off'). The problem with germinating different varieties in the same propagator is that they come up at differing times. I do this and just play it by ear. The seedling that has keeled over looks like it could use a drink.
Thanks for that,

I have turned the heater off. Unsure when i should remove the propagator lid, I have watched a few youtube growers, and it seems some uncover their seedings sooner.

Yes, all of my Hungarian Hot Wax germinated, but only 1 or 2 of my Super Tramp and Bolivian Rainbow. When they get a bit further on, I am planning on putting them into 1 litre pots. Can you recommend me a soil for this? Think I will use some perlite too, but not sure about the ratio.

Make sure that once they germinate, they get plenty of light (and air), otherwise they'll get tall and leggy.
1 Litre pots will be fine for a while. John innes No.2 is good for their earlier life, with about 10% perlite or vermiculite.
A weak seaweed feed solution helps...

Here's my seedlings and some overwintered ones, I have set the inkbird to 21c for the seedlings now. Also some toms in there too. The lights I leave on all day, really helps stop them getting leggy, although 18 hours is fine too.

IMG_20210313_083613123_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210313_083622408_HDR.jpg

I did some chillie admin today, pricked out 6 jalapeno plants, 2 apaches and 1 chocolate habanero. 100% germination on year old jalapeño and Apache seeds, 10% on the chocolate habaneros. Oh well, they were bought on a whim by my wife and I did suggest we probably didn’t have the best setup for them, so no great loss!

I've scaled back a lot this year as the greenhouse is gone. Just six, and nothing exciting because I don't think the chinense would thrive outside the greenhouse: Thai dragon, cayenne, lemon drop, jalapeno, pardon and piri piri.

3 different varieties this year, Bulgarian Carrot, Big Sun Habanero and Biqiunho Red, 100% germination (8 seeds) from the Habanero and Biquinho, nothing from the Bulgarian.

My second lot are about ready to go into the polytunel when this early morning frost passes. Ten different varieties this year, plus my usual half a dozen Bulgarian carrot, (Shipka).

Attachments

• 9714FF30-2680-43BC-97CB-1D6F0037977F.jpeg
    9714FF30-2680-43BC-97CB-1D6F0037977F.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 100
Today my wife and I took part in a local community seedling sale for charity. Several of the others who contributed has grown chillies, so I sold some of my seedlings and bought some others. So
I now have strong seedlings one each of Apache, Jalapeño, Chocolate Habanero, Cayenne and Hungarian Hot Wax. That’ll do!

Mine are looking good. This year's bought seeds are Holy Peak and Aji Limo and the seedlings are doing well.

I saved back Draky and Santa Fe Grande seeds from last years fruit and the Draky have all come up but the SF Grande haven't at all.

I also overwintered the most productive draky from last year and that one has already flowered and a fruit is already growing from it!

Latest posts

Back