So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my Birds Eye and Medusa chilies still flowering and we are a week away from winter. I have dried some cayenne but now thinking I can have fresh chili the year round. I did have some Birds Eye before for quite a few years, I think they died of old age. Our winter temp low is about 7-8 C rarely get a frost. So I think I will see how they go over winter.

Greenfly! Grrr!

What's your secret method to killing these little gits? I'm out in the greenhouse twice a day at the moment manually squashing loads of them on my chilli leaves.

Greenfly! Grrr!

What's your secret method to killing these little gits? I'm out in the greenhouse twice a day at the moment manually squashing loads of them on my chilli leaves.
My philosophy is to avoid insecticides at all costs. I've never had a massive problem - when I see a few I blast them off with water or manually remove them. Any ladybirds I find in the garden get relocated to the greenhouse. If I did get a bad infestation I'd look to biological controls Pest Problems - Aphids - Defenders.

My philosophy is to avoid insecticides at all costs. I've never had a massive problem - when I see a few I blast them off with water or manually remove them. Any ladybirds I find in the garden get relocated to the greenhouse. If I did get a bad infestation I'd look to biological controls Pest Problems - Aphids - Defenders.
That's what I found blast them off with water, problem was next day they would have climbed back up. I don't know why they are so hard to control on capsicums and chili. Another thing to try is a 'Dust Buster' works on white fly not sure about aphids. Should work.

And the winner this year is: Anaheim, hadn't spotted them producing but both plants have a decent-sized chill on them. They're not even in their final pots. Looks like the Japalenos aren't far behind either.

Greenfly! Grrr!

There's a post from me earlier in this thread bemoaning greenfly. I just couldn't get on top of them and its the reason I've given up growing chillies despite having a large greenhouse 😥 . It was getting too depressing seeing my much cared for plants getting destroyed every year and I simply don't have the time to attend to them twice a day to rinse the plants off.

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding greenfly. I think I'm getting on top of the issue; there seem to be fewer each time I check and hopefully they're not actively laying eggs for much longer. I did relocate a ladybird into the greenhouse and it had a sniff around, put it's wings out and flew out the door! :laugh8:

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding greenfly. I think I'm getting on top of the issue; there seem to be fewer each time I check and hopefully they're not actively laying eggs for much longer. I did relocate a ladybird into the greenhouse and it had a sniff around, put it's wings out and flew out the door! :laugh8:
:laugh8:

Ungrateful little git! Glad you are getting on top of the aphids even without its help 👍

The Tropical Orange continues to grow well. It's outside now, they don't like excessive heat.
IMG_20210605_150450998_HDR.jpg

Selection of my other chilli plants, turtle claw and supertramp (first 2 in that order) the best of the rest
IMG_20210605_150510825_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210605_150519209_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210605_150535537.jpg

Our golden Cayenne are disappointingly bland this year. Plenty of fruit and the plants seem healthy, just a bit bland.
I'll maybe go shopping for new seeds..

My 'Apache' and 'Ring of Fire' are doing well, after a late start but now all in flower. I once grew 'Trinidad Scorpion' but these things are dangerous at 1 million Scoville's ashock1

I'm growing Cayenne, Naga, Jalepeno and Habanero, and I'm only just getting flowers on the plants now...
Is it best to remove the flowers, or should I leave them be?

Back