So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you over winter? Any tips?
Never managed it myself, I suspect because I always leave them in an unheated greenhouse. Theory is repot in new compost and clean pot, prune right back. Bring into a cool part of the house. Water only very very sparingly. One day.....

How do you over winter? Any tips?

Well mine have been v successfull but pure fluke barely gave them any maintenance other than bringing them unto my largely unheated summerhouse, gave them the occasional blast under a uv lamp, mainly because I have the blinds permanently drawn and then cut right back in spring and back outside into a pvc frame once frosts had passed. No new compost just plenty of feed. As I say pure luck.

Got my first jalapeno which fell off the plant today! Season seems very late this year. Maybe due to rainy June?

Tried to sprout a hit naga seed but it never took off

Did someone say Jalapenos? Today's harvest from 6 plants, the first I've ever grown.

js.jpg

Chillies are very greedy plants and are best fed with inorganic fertiliser.
They are like junk food addicts and demand an instant hit.

The short time from germination to fruiting does not allow things like bonemeal to break down properly.

I have overwintered them but they were indoors in my living room which had electric storage heating so never got cold at night during the winter.
The second year crop was mamoth.

Chillies are very greedy plants and are best fed with inorganic fertiliser.
They are like junk food addicts and demand an instant hit.

The short time from germination to fruiting does not allow things like bonemeal to break down properly.

I have overwintered them but they were indoors in my living room which had electric storage heating so never got cold at night during the winter.
The second year crop was mamoth.
Did you cut them back at all for overwintering and if so how much?

Its about 12yrs ago now. I do remember I got only a very few fruit the first year as I started them late in the short Scottish growing season.
I may have trimmed them a bit,.
The seeds came from supermaket chillies,I used to grow allsorts of things like that,Advacados, Ginger ect.
These ones were jalapenos.

I gave one plant to a friend who grew hers in a conservatory the plant grew over 5ft tall and produced enough fruit to make several jars of chutny.

I usually overwinter a few plants, about three quarters make it and tend to crop better and earlier the second year. I usually cut them back aggressively once it's cropped and keep the pot slightly damp and in my south facing conservatory. Another way Ive seen is to not cut it back until March, then do so.

I'm not going to do it this year though as I want to try new varieties next year. Some types like rocotos can live to 15yrs apparently, others only a few.

Hi all - can anyone identify this chilli? My seeds got mixed up during the planting phase. I believe this may be a ghost chilli or Carolina reaper?

20211015_105555.jpg

Back