So who's growing chillies 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Haven't seen a 2022 thread so figured I start one (sorry if there is one and I've missed it).

Sowed first batch of seeds last night:
- 'Trinity', a large red habanero of about 40k SHU.
- 'Submarine', a small yellow habanero of about 100k SHU.
- 'Trinidad Scorpion', a super hot of about 2m SHU.
- 'Madre Vieja', a yellow fruity baccatum variety of about 60k SHU
- 'Aji Hot', another baccatum, this time red and around 50k SHU.

I've also got a couple of plants I'm trying to over winter (a Serrano and a Rocoto), and I'll sow some more seeds in a few weeks

I planted a couple of jalapeno bushes next to my hops in October (southern hemisphere seasons). They're going great, lots of peppers and still covered in flowers. Also put a couple of yellow capsicum plants behind them that are fruiting well.
Found the Carolina reaper seeds I'd misplaced but too late in the season now, hope to propagate them next spring to plant outdoors for summer...

We have a row of habaneros in the propagator that have germinated and are around 2" high.

The row of Serrano's hasn't come up yet though.

We also made chilli jam yesterday with the leftovers from a previous year

Here are mine, both in somewhat thrown together grow spaces for the moment

Jalapeno m, aji limon, orange pepperoncini, biquinho, serano, ring of fire all sown maybe three weeks ago and locoto are the oldest, I sowed them start of december.

I also tried germinating seeds from shop bought fresh birds eye and serano to see if they germinated ok, which they did but decided that I had enough plants
IMG_20220207_095002987_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220203_185914984_HDR.jpg

I've got Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion, Paper Lantern, Yellow Naga, Kashmiri, Jalapeno, Padron, 7 pots and Scotch Bonnets on the go at the moment. Most are from "saved seeds".
They're all a bit spindly at the moment - currently looking into lighting solutions...

This year I have gone for Sugar Rush Peach, Berbere Brown, Peppercream, Mini Olive rocoto and Peppadew.

I would recommend Welsh Dragon Chilli when buying seeds, first time using them and he gave me a few extras to try out.

I planted a couple each of Cayenne Orange, Yellow Habanero, Anaheim, Cyklon, Zimbabwe Black and Bhut Jolokia. Put them into a propagator a couple of weeks ago but no sign of activity yet. I can't say I've ever had any success with chillies but one can but try again.

I planted a couple each of Cayenne Orange, Yellow Habanero, Anaheim, Cyklon, Zimbabwe Black and Bhut Jolokia. Put them into a propagator a couple of weeks ago but no sign of activity yet. I can't say I've ever had any success with chillies but one can but try again.
Is it a heated propagator? You might find that it's too cold for germination if not. The habanero and bhut jolokia in particular will need warmth 👍

I'm a bit later this year, but after many years of growing I'm starting them later now as there doesn't seem enough light in Dec/Jan. My first ones have germinated in the heated propagator and been tranferred to small pots a few days ago, various ones mostly grown from seeds recovered from last year's crop. The only new variety from commercial seed is Bhut Jolokia, and they haven't germinated yet - being super-hots I think they may require a bit more heat to get going.

I've got at least one of each variety up now. Trinity lagging behind with just 1/6 germinated, Trinidad Scorpion 6/6. I'll post some pics when there's something 'interesting' to share 🙂

Bit of a disaster yesterday, one of my jalapeno bushes collapsed under the weight of its fruit. Snapped off at the base... :(
Never even considered staking them, but the remaining one is supported now...

On the bright side I had a very nice pizza last night liberally covered in sliced green jalapeno peppers. Plus made up a nice sauce with the ones left over... 🙂

Just had pictures of my chilli plants from 6 years ago pop up in my Google timeline - they were massive! My plants this year are absolutely feeble in comparison 🙁. The weather hasn't been great, but even so....
What might save me in terms of getting some early chillies are the two over-wintered plants that have a head start 🙂. Never managed to successfully over-winter before, so quite chuffed with that.

Interesting. I'm still picking ripe red jalapenos from the bushes I planted in October now, even tho it snowed today. (Southern hemisphere, so winter). Wondering if the plants will survive the frosts to come, been super productive...

We need more sun that's for sure. My Draky's are very tall, have flowered and are starting to bear fruit but the supposedly early-cropping Lemonella are looking quite small and are just forming flower buds. Lemonella is a first for me this year so maybe that's normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back