So who's growing chillies 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recon the tall sides on the planting bucket are helping by creating a micro climate and retaining some extra humidity.
I reckon you are probably right and like most of my ventures into growing things, it was an accident!

I had an old FV, a box of pebbles from a new electric fire and half a bag of compost from a previous attempt; so I bought a packet of chilli seeds!
:D

The pebbles and compost only came to the height you see in the photo!

Plans for 2023 include another bag of compost and a replanting to a higher level. Here’d hoping! 🙏
:hat:

Only one yellow drop chilli and Chorley amateur veg comp on Friday. Any ideas how to quickly speed up two more?
8C2E7C7C-4654-422A-9129-3D47B06B5CB1.jpeg

Our habaneros (very late starters) are now over a foot high.. no sign of flowers yet though. Tomatoes on the other hand are 4ft high and covered in flowers and small green tomatoes

Last edited:
My grow has taken off in the last few weeks and I've got a bit of a jungle coming along. Lots of peppers on most plants, need some to properly ripen now!

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_135110280_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220726_135110280_HDR.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220726_135130284_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220726_135130284_HDR.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220726_135238461_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220726_135238461_HDR.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220726_135253845_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220726_135253845_HDR.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
As usual, I grew too many again this year but it's been a very good year so far
  • I had so many plants that I put one in the veg patch, it's produced some very hot ripe yellow chillis.....outside! No doubt the hot spell helped.
  • First time trying to grow a Bhut Jolokia and there is now fruit on the plant.
  • First time I've had no whitefly on the chillis in the greenhouse.
Think I either got my seeds from last year mixed up (all plants are grown from last years harvested seeds) or I've ended up with some cross-polination, as some varieties have not ended up what they meant to be. In particular, I don't have enough Jalapenos which I like to pickle.

fruiting nicely : padron, jalapeno, banana, tabasco, chocolate, anaheim,

not fruiting : scotch bonnet

All outdoor as I dont have a greenhouse :(

Last edited:
Recipe for pickling Jalapeños please as signs are that I may have too many!

Plenty of recipes online, 50/50 water and white vinegar boiled up with a bit of salt and sugar, and optional garlic and black peppercorns. I slice the Jalapenos into a warm jar then pour the solution on and put the lid on, as it cools if forms a seal. Some people cook the Japalenos in the pan with the water and vinegar before putting in the jar, but I find it makes then too soft. Some recipes say it keeps for 2 months but I've had these keep for well over a year.

I freeze surplus chillies.
same here. We have 2 carry-out containers in the freezer filled with previous season's apaches (why I'm not growing much this year). Take it out of the freezer, run under hot water for 5 seconds to defrost and you're away.

Thanks for the advice but I think I’ll stay with pickling.

Living in Iran taught me what a power failure in warm weather can do to a freezer; and there’s no way I could eat about a kilo of Jalapeños in a day!

Our habaneros (very late starters) are now over a foot high.. no sign of flowers yet though. Tomatoes on the other hand are 4ft high and covered in flowers and small green tomatoes
I have Habanero plant it's got some chilli's on but they are quite small about the size of marble. What's gone wrong?

How big is the plant pot?
Suggest you try diluted tomato feed
Pots about a foot diameter I've fed them regularly with plant food they are looking good but just small fruits. Looks like a bigger pot next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back