So who's growing chillies 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Habanero plant it's got some chilli's on but they are quite small about the size of marble. What's gone wrong?
Fed, watered and in a big enough pot + “looking good but small fruits” = Too impatient! to me!

It’s still only July and we have at least two more growing months!

My suggestion is to up the watering to keep the compost damp, reduce the feeding to no more than once a week and keep the pot clear of dead flowers/leaves etc.

Thus speaks the “expert” who has some chillies on his plant for the first time EVER!
:D

Fed, watered and in a big enough pot + “looking good but small fruits” = Too impatient! to me!

My suggestion is to up the watering to keep the compost damp, reduce the feeding to no more than once a week and keep the pot clear of dead flowers/leaves etc.

Thus speaks the “expert” who has some chillies on his plant for the first time EVER!

Too impatient me never...cheers

I have Habanero plant it's got some chilli's on but they are quite small about the size of marble. What's gone wrong?
It could just be that it's the first crop of the season. I often find that the first chillies are smaller than the ones a month later. Or it could be that it's not hot/sunny enough for what the habanero wants.

It could just be that it's the first crop of the season. I often find that the first chillies are smaller than the ones a month later. Or it could be that it's not hot/sunny enough for what the habanero wants.
I agree, first ones tend to be runts. Plenty of time yet, you'll get fruit until November in a greenhouse

A few years ago when I really concentrated on growing chilli's I experimented with a couple of plants by treating them differently to the others...poor soil,confined space and just enough water...they were much hotter!

I also tried a couple of DROPS of neat tomato feed on one...the plant turned black! I then washed the pot through on a daily basis until it perked up and gradually dropped its leaves then turned green again!
I've also read about putting a potted plant on its side and letting the shoots all turn upwards...supposed to give high yield.

Have Hungarian black chillies, lemon drop and wiri wiri chillies growing this season , the Hungarian ones have proved very prolific already and the lemon drops are finally fruiting , nowt on the wiri wiri yet :( all in polytunnel along with the Tom's and melons.

First crop of my Jalapeños!!
Took a nibble off the end of one and very impressed as to the freshness! Delicious!
athumb..

76DC69D8-7519-42F1-A728-8635C3EAF504.jpeg

Seeing the price at the moment I shouldn't have left so many to rot on the plants... :eek:
REDDIT_CHILLI_PRICE_1120.jpg

Yeah. To be fair I'd dried some, pickled some, frozen some, gave heaps away and made chili jam, so had run out of ideas. Didn't think I could have retired on the lost income... :D

Jalapeños and apache fine, but lemon drops refusing to turn yellow!

Attachments

• A91155AB-6CAD-4BF3-93C0-4FC99931BE6F.jpeg
    A91155AB-6CAD-4BF3-93C0-4FC99931BE6F.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 0
Yeah. To be fair I'd dried some, pickled some, frozen some, gave heaps away and made chili jam, so had run out of ideas. Didn't think I could have retired on the lost income... :D
What recipe did you use for your chilli jam ?

The black Hungarian ones I have been drying in the dehydrator and crushing to corse powder , smells amazing almost akin to the pringles sour cream and chive but with serious bite lol.

Look a bit like my ones, apart from the early buds that got really fat and were comparatively tasteless (almost looked like capsicum/bell.peppers)...

And since we're exiting winter here I might try growing my Carolina Reaper seeds. I've bought a heat mat and am waiting on a seed light tray to arrive so I can set them up indoors before transferring outside once the frosts have ended...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back