Soaking grains over night

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi people
I am wondering if it's possible without any bad effects to put the grain in the mash boiler with cold water in it and let the boiler turn on at night and do the mash so when I get up it's done. I am thinking this may not be good for the grain to sit in cold water for a couple of hours. I can time it so its mashed and just needs boiling when I get up.

I can not see a problem with what you are wanting to do the only things that spring to mind are that putting the grains in cold water is just ike doing a cold steep so it may bring out a little more flavour and certainly colour than the recipe will say in a brewing aid such as Brewers Friend Beersmith etc. as long as you do not leave it to mash for too long so the temperature drops below 50C as that could bring into play I think it is lactobacillus but I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong which can give the mash a unpleasant cheesy smell but as you are going to proceed to sparge/boil within a hour or so it should be ok. I say go for it

You should be alright. As the baron says the colour and flavour will be more. The OG will probably be higher as found out in a brülosophy experiment of a 15 hour mash. http://brulosophy.com/2018/01/08/mash-length-overnight-vs-60-minutes-exbeeriment-results/
I don't think it's an over night mash that's he's talking about. I think he plans on letting the grain sit in cold water then putting the mash on timer to come on during the night and do a normal mash. Maybe I am wrong

I don't think it's an over night mash that's he's talking about. I think he plans on letting the grain sit in cold water then putting the mash on timer to come on during the night and do a normal mash. Maybe I am wrong
No I don't think he is but over that long a period I would think that some sugars will be released mashing or steeping

I did David heath's Vienna lager and mashed longer than normal. I had things to do. The beer turned out far to dark and the flavour from the chocolate malt was too much

Overnight mash at mash temperatures - fine.

Grain sitting overnight at room temperature - not fine. There are other enzymes within malt which would be active at that temperature, for example lactobacillus. There may be others, the more scientifically aware members can chip in here!

I’ve seen this question asked once or twice on the forum and it was advised against. I think the best you can do is treat your water and prepare the grains the night before then use a timer so that your water is ready to mash in first thing in the morning.

I think Lactobillus becomes apparent at temp of 30C to 40C approx so if you are setting it to mash and come in in say a garage at normal temps of 10c or below it should be fine to do as you are suggesting but as pointed out by AJ it is not worth risking it if you are going to leave the grains in the water at room plus temps IMO

Thanks for all the replies it's safer just to get up earlier and start the mash early it's sounds too risky.

This is one of those things that sounds like a terrible idea but I'm unaware of anyone actually trying it. I would have been interested in the results if you'd tried it but I don't think I would risk the grain myself.

Latest posts

Back