Social media boycott

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't use social media much so a question to those here that do will this boycott have any effect whatsoever its pretty obvious these companies could have done a lot more a long time ago to get on top of racism but they always seem to come out with excuses every time the finger is pointed at them, i have mentioned this before i have an account in a totally made up name that i used to use to wind people up in football discussions back in the day why do they not insist on proof when a person registers, there must be ways they can tighten things up but the question is do they care enough to do it.

Social media boycott: Football clubs, players & sporting bodies begin protest

Football clubs, players, athletes and a number of sporting bodies have begun a four-day boycott of social media in an attempt to tackle abuse and discrimination on their platforms.

It began at 15:00 BST on Friday and will end on Monday at at 23:59 BST.

The "show of solidarity against online abuse" hopes to encourage companies to take a stronger stance against racist and sexist abuse by users.

Rugby union, cricket and rugby league have also joined the protest.

The Premier League released a statement prior to the four-day silence, saying it would not stop challenging companies "until discriminatory online abuse is removed from our game and wider society".

"We know that a boycott alone will not eradicate this, which is why we will continue to take proactive steps to call for change," the statement continued.

A number players posted a statement shortly before the protest began, while football clubs changed their Twitter feed icons to a blacked-out version of their logo.

Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips wrote: "Disappointed that we even have to be doing this. Social media should be a safe space for everyone.

"I really hope main platforms make it a priority to eradicate online abuse from their system. It's already a problem in society, let's do more to stop it online as well."

Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out says the boycott "signifies our collective anger", with football being joined by other sports.

Full article -
Social media boycott: Football clubs, players & sporting bodies begin protest - BBC Sport

Sorry to mention this forum is social media.... hehehe

While that is true we differ from the ones mentioned in the report as we don't allow abuse here it is always removed and if severe the members doesn't get to post again under that username! ;)

Perhaps they need to change the way they recruit members...as in you can only join if they know who you are... or,if not,the platform becomes responsible for the output.
I can't get a bank account without showing them it's "me"...but I can join a social media and say what I like...I bet offenders are traceable..as the tinterweb is infinitely connected..it just costs and that's the sticking point.

Spot on Clint they have had the means to stamp a lot of this out but havent so deserve everything they get.

Does anyone think this boycott will bring change?

I think this move is pointless. Someone as a bad game, then the abuse will be there. Plus why are they all having to post to say they won't be posting. Idiots.

There is a proportion of the population that are racist. No sort of protest or ban on social media is going to change that. Social media that allows anonymous comment will always allow this minority to spout abuse.
My daughter uses tiktok and you can't comment unless you sign up with your mobile phone number. Why don't professional sports people refuse to contribute to platforms that have anonymous users. Is it that simple? I don't get it! If twitter, instagram etc don't offer this at the moment, surely there is an opportunity for a platform out there to offer a safe space for users with validated email and mobile numbers.

I don’t have any of the social media platforms. I have one for my firm, but my daughter does all that, I can’t even look at it, since I haven’t downloaded any.
I have to say, I don’t think it has enhanced the joy of being alive though, judging by the so called harm it’s causing people.
It’s really quite destructive to some people. Young people killing themselves, all this grooming etc. To be honest, I don’t know where people get the time even.
There is always the off switch, which I feel is under used, or even unknown to a lot of people.
We all have a national insurance number, I don’t think it’s beyond the whit of man to use it as some sort of ID for these sort of things. It’s hardly a secret!

I use Facebook. All my facebook friends are actual friends plus a few relatives so I don't see any of this stuff. Fact is, all these football stars are using their social media accounts for self promotion rather than what they are designed for.
BTW several of my friends have totally anonymous accounts, fake names etc. Helps prevent identity theft.

Latest posts

Back