Soda Stream Syrups

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppsmith

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an effort to use less plastic we've just ordered a Sodastream, primarily for carbonated water which makes up a good chunk of our recycling currently. The fact I can refill the expensive little CO2 bottle from my cheap full size CO2 bottle was a big factor too of course...

It's kinda got my imagination going though. I've been looking at making my own cola syrup (currently considering the Cube Cola recipe I think). It's probably not going to be anything like Coke/Pepsi, but hopefully it'll taste differently good with my JD/rum/whatever's left in the cupboard.

Anybody tried this, or have any other suggestions for interesting syrup or cordial recipes to try out with it?

I fizz up my own water using a carbonation cap and my big CO2 cylinder I have for the cornys: Carbonation Cap Screws onto any old fizzy drink bottle you have laying around.

For syrups tend to use the premium type cordials from the supermarket, anything with too much artificial rubbish in it i.e. sugar not sweetner e.g. Bottle Green and Belvoir. The likes of Lowciz sold in the Polish shops is also good.

I fizz up my own water using a carbonation cap and my big CO2 cylinder I have for the cornys: Carbonation Cap Screws onto any old fizzy drink bottle you have laying around.
Yeah, me too. And you don't have the Sodastream's nanny state finger wagging telling you that you can only have it just as fizzy as it says. Sodastreams can GTF.

Yeah, me too. And you don't have the Sodastream's nanny state finger wagging telling you that you can only have it just as fizzy as it says. Sodastreams can GTF.

That's not just me then. The pressure relief valve seems to go off far too early - bottles of shop bought fizzy spring water are way fizzier than I can make with this thing. Bit of a let down tbh.

I wonder if it can adjust? Wierd how mine is stupidly fizzy and some are not

Update on this - I was underwhelmed with ours and thought I'd add some water adjustments to try and approximate the San Pellegrino water profile. Not only did it taste a lot better, it took a lot more carbonation. Wonder if the salts increased the alkalinity of the water allowing it to absorb more CO2?

For reference my tap water here in Edinburgh is
10ppm Ca, 1ppm Mg, 5ppm Na, 6ppm Cl, 12ppm SO4, 40ppm HCO3

and the profile I aimed at is
170ppm Ca, 45ppm Mg, 31ppm Na, 51ppm Cl, 420ppm SO4, 83ppm HCO3

Back