SodaStream based Corny gas system.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Chapman

Reaction score
Hi, how long do sodastream cylinders last (ish) with a corny keg?

Where do you buy the adaptors?

Last edited by a moderator:
The once difficult to find adapters are now common place and cheap as chips if you can wait for shipping from China (2-4 weeks). You'll have a choice of straight-through, fiddly but more reliable, or "elbow", but I find the seals about the "pin" give up after only a few months:

e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T21-4-to...589841?hash=item2ad31e1291:g:h5wAAOSwrY1dY6pq
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-Cyli...296553?hash=item26261e9869:g:BYwAAOSwBmhdcI5-
(Examples. I have no reason to suggest you buy these devices from these vendors. Search "W21.8 Sodastream Adapter" and make up your own mind).

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you can get the adaptor from The Malt Miller for about £12. I got one at the same time as I bought my set-up as I had a sodastream c02 can. Figured it might come in handy when my gas runs out. Still haven't had to use it and it's coming up to a year since I started kegging.

I got mine from BreKegTap. I've had to use it this week as my big gas bottle has run out and it works very well.

I have a 3kg bottle and it lasted me just over a year probably 2 cornie a month and pressure transfer from fermentasaurus. Going to get it refilled asap

Good to know, cheers. Mine is closer to the 6kg mark and I wouldn't get through as many cornies as you. So it should last me a while yet, hopefully.

Oooo … the forum elves have been busy in this thread and cut it adrift from the 6 year old thread.
Hi, how long do sodastream cylinders last (ish) with a corny keg?

Where do you buy the adaptors?
Only answered the adapter question. As for how long Sodastream cylinders last …

In my pocket is a piece of string. How long is it?

One cylinder will last a year if maintaining a handpump, maybe two if you are a very moderate drinker. If serving up highly carbonated lagers, a cylinder might only last for 2 or 3 20L kegs. And if you insist on force carbonating beer rather than letting the yeast do the job for free, you'll use a cylinder in no time. A "pub cylinder" (6.35kg) holds about 15x a Sodastream cylinder. There is 425gms of CO2 in a new Sodastream cylinder: CO2 is sold by weight because it is liquid and not a compressed gas like many other gases sold in cylinders. All CO2 is sold at the same pressure, whether a tiny "capsule" or a tanker because that is the pressure it has to be.

Oooo … the forum elves have been busy in this thread and cut it adrift from the 6 year old thread.

Only answered the adapter question. As for how long Sodastream cylinders last …

In my pocket is a piece of string. How long is it?

One cylinder will last a year if maintaining a handpump, maybe two if you are a very moderate drinker. If serving up highly carbonated lagers, a cylinder might only last for 2 or 3 20L kegs. And if you insist on force carbonating beer rather than letting the yeast do the job for free, you'll use a cylinder in no time. A "pub cylinder" (6.35kg) holds about 15x a Sodastream cylinder. There is 425gms of CO2 in a new Sodastream cylinder: CO2 is sold by weight because it is liquid and not a compressed gas like many other gases sold in cylinders. All CO2 is sold at the same pressure, whether a tiny "capsule" or a tanker because that is the pressure it has to be.
Thanks for the insight here, i have two kegs so i'm planning on pressure fermenting in one and then closed transferring to the other and just using the sodastream for dispensing (plus the transfer).
I don't drink massively, I imagine a corny keg will probably last me a good few months.

When asking how long a sodastream cylinder would last i was meaning more in terms of number of kegs dispensed than weeks/months/years, my fault, should have been more clear!

Bought soda stream gas on eBay and an Adaptor to fit my mini regulater. All set up but corny is sans beer. Brewing Tribute to fill it.

I can't find a 1/4" MFL male to 1/4" flared brass connector , anyone ever bought one and where?
You should have no trouble getting just about any "adapter" with a Web search (or perhaps limit it to an eBay search?). But you do need to be very specific about what you want. 1/4" MFL is good (don't worry about whether it is male, it would be FFL if female - and this is an American thread designation) … but '1/4" flared brass connector'? That isn't providing useful information. This bit needs a bit of expanding, like what's it connecting to? And for good measure, from?

I have so much trying to connect my mini regulater to a gas line I need a male 1/4"MFL (I understand M & F but Amazon and eBay don't) they only supplies I've found are in the States. So plan B I've order a male to male 1/4" MFL and a female to 1/4" flared.

Amazon and eBay have been great for getting thread adapters for just about anything. The possibility of getting a good thread adapter instead of buying (and waiting) from the country that uses that thread is a boon. But it also exposes you to all sorts of quirks.

Take 1/4" BSP, based on the British "Whitworth" thread standard. Some countries didn't like to standardise on a British standard, so you have German (European?) "DN", which is exactly the same thing for pipe threads but has a "metric" numbering system. The Japanese tried to consolidate all the "standards" to give "JIS", but again pipe thread standards are based on Whitworth. The Americans bless them had to go it alone and developed their own thread-form: There's some approximate crossover, like 1/2" BSP can be graunched into 1/2" NPT, but not 1/4" because the threads-per-inch is very different (you might get away with a short thread when one is plastic and easily deformed).

Then there are anomalies like a favourite of mine: 7/16" JIS fits very well on to 1/4" MFL (NPT) (the difference in size is 'cos the Japs standardised on thread diameter, the American NPT, and British BSP, on pipe internal bore). But JIS is based on BSP which isn't compatible (at 1/4") with NPT, so how does that work? Then there is the sealing cone, but slight differences in this probably doesn't matter if pressure is low (<4BAR?). And tapering: NPT is tapered, BSP may or may not be (BSPT and BSPP).

Head mashed yet? Mine is.

(EDIT: Change JIC to JIS. Small error but big difference!)

Last edited:
Attached is what I want but neither Amazon or eBay have it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 78
I'm trying to second guess what the hosetail is for …

But these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CDC-...086974?hash=item48cdb8d1fe:g:-J4AAOSwtd5dIYNM

Okay, not brass, from China (may take 2-4 weeks) and not JG (Chinese clone).

But, by the way, it also answers my 7/16" JIS conundrum? 1/4" FFL = 7/16"-20UNF (I'd guess JIS is using UNF thread form in this case? My idea that 1/4" MFL is the same as 1/4" NPT is from my own defective imagination).

Last edited:
Back