Sodastream keg system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roysy

Reaction score
I have seen a sodastream Cornelius keg system which rather takes my fancy. I live in a flat so a big CO2 bottle would not be practical and wife would not tolerate it's aesthetic properties. I have asked the seller the following but would be appreciative of further opinions/ideas from the learned folk, namely yourselves ;)

I would want to use sugar to prime while in system and use the sodastream for dispensing pressure. This would economise on CO2 and I am kinda traditional and like to sugar prime rather than force carbonate. Would this work?

I realise there would be sediment but presumably this would come through in the first drawing which I would discard to my garden slug traps, (lucky slugs); would I be correct in this assumption?

Your views and experience would be appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation
Roy

I use a sodastream bottle to maintain serving pressure when I go out/away with a keg. It lasts ages, if you prime the keg and use the CO2 for serving only.

image.jpg

Generally, from a few up to 10psi. It depends on the tap and whether it has a beer line. In the pic above, there is a simple (no gauge) regulator connected to a sodastream adaptor. When I use it, I judge the flow visually and then make adjustments, if necessary. You can fit a regulator with a gauge, but for me that's gonna get in the way when I'm travelling with beer. It's minimalist and works fine.

Thanks for this McMullan.

The one that Hop & Grape are selling comes with a gauge regulator. It's £160.00 which seems like a decent price. Will see if I can source the bits cheaper elsewhere, but taking postage into consideration I'm not sure I will.

Thanks for this McMullan.

The one that Hop & Grape are selling comes with a gauge regulator. It's £160.00 which seems like a decent price. Will see if I can source the bits cheaper elsewhere, but taking postage into consideration I'm not sure I will.

That seems like a lot to me. Have you got a link? You can get a sodastream adaptor for under £15 and a simple regulator for about £25. A decent gauged regulator shouldn't cost more than about £50.

Ok, so it includes a keg and a tap. Shop around, though. I think it's still a little over priced.

Yes, It should. co2supermarket is where I got my adaptor and simple reg. The reg from maltmiller looks fine and they do the disconnects and taps too.

How long does a sodastream cylinder last on a corny?

How long does a sodastream cylinder last on a corny?

No idea, still on my first sodastream bottle. I use it for serving pressure when I go away for a dirty weekend with a keg. Had a few so far. It's about a 1/4 the size of my regular 2kg CO2 cylinder, which last ages. So about 1/4 times ages :hmm:

Nice pics there @McMullan, makes a big difference being able to see the adapter's talked about.

I have a muckle big CO2 cylinder which is no use for moving around to any party's/BBQ's etc. and I don't fancy the small 8g/18g bike tyre cartridges either.

Your Sodastream set-up looks just what I'm after. Small, simple, cheap...

I've got the pictures of you and the keg. A kilo of of EKG and a sack of Marris Otter or I'm sending them to your missus - I'll PM you my address

:rofl: I've got about 40kg of MO hidden in the basement and almost a kg of EKG in the freezer. And I'm brewing a pale ale single hopped with, you guessed, EKG, on Sunday. I need to distract the misses, though. She's getting suspicious :whistle:

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back