Sodastream to keg setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_8

new to beer brewing
Reaction score
I have a 5ltr mini keg and a sodastream cylinder, so I'm looking to connect the cylinder to the keg for dispensing.
I have see alot of products on the market at different prices so don't want to buy something that's isn't safe, so I'm looking for recommendations

I've got this setup in a home made kegarator. So I have a regulator directly connected to the Sodastream bottle. a short length of gas line to a ball lock fitting that attaches directly to the ball lock post of the mini-keg. I keep the Sodastream bottle in the fridge with the keg and have balanced lines to deliver the beer through the taps at carbonation pressure. This is quite convenient as I can just quickly unhook the CO2 line and remove the bottle if I need to charge the fermentor or use it for a transfer.

Just bought a second keg - a 9ltr corny keg, and have a John Guest T-piece to feed both kegs.

Thanks Hoppyscotty, can you post some photos of your setup please

I've got this setup in a home made kegarator. So I have a regulator directly connected to the Sodastream bottle. a short length of gas line to a ball lock fitting that attaches directly to the ball lock post of the mini-keg. I keep the Sodastream bottle in the fridge with the keg and have balanced lines to deliver the beer through the taps at carbonation pressure. This is quite convenient as I can just quickly unhook the CO2 line and remove the bottle if I need to charge the fermentor or use it for a transfer.

Just bought a second keg - a 9ltr corny keg, and have a John Guest T-piece to feed both kegs.
What size of sodastream cylinder do you use and do you refill them yourself

Just the standard size one. Think they are 60 litre / 425g. I share a 6kg cylinder with a mate and got an adapter to refill but damned if I can get it to work. I started a thread on here about it and got loads of helpful responses and links to other threads on the matter, but still no joy. Cant justify the cost of refills at £14 each when a 6kg refill are about £24. Thought it would be handy for portability. To be fair I got a decent amount of use from the Sodastream bottle...several charges of the fermentor, closed transfer of beer from the fermenter, carlbing and serving two 5ltr kegs and its still not done yet but into the red, but still at the refill costs I think I'd rather just bite the bullet on a second cylinder if I cant get the refill to work.

Photo of my setup as requested...

Not pretty but doesn't need to be as its in my garage. Between brews at the moment so keg is empty but laid out to show the setup. I keep the Sodastream bottle in the fridge. The green bungee is to stop it from falling out when I open the door. The fridge is a bit smaller than standard size so can fit either 2 x 5ltr mini kegs in or one mini keg and one 9ltr corny keg. Might need to upgrade to a larger fridge in the future if we start increasing batches but I brew with three mates so by the time we've split the batch we're usually a bit under 5ltrs each so unless we can keep brews going at a decent drum beat I can soon run out!

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 99
Back