Sodium percarbonate 5kg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stuff never went away. But the eBay sellers couldn't be bothered to repack it for a while, so you were left with buying 25Kg sacks as imported.

I swallowed hard, closed my eyes, and bought 25Kg. At £55 delivered. Sort of puts those little packs into perspective! But I'll never get through 25Kg in the brewery before it becomes ineffective (2-3 years?), so I'm exploring all its "normal" uses (dish washer, laundry, flushing coffee maker, etc.). And I've stopped being skimpy with the stuff in the brewery.

Incredible cleaner when used at decent concentrations (10g per litre, thanks for that figure @Sadfield! Or more if you really need to shift stuff like the skin off you hands, etc.). Note it can be used as a sanitiser and cleaner, but isn't supposed to be so good on greasy muck (hence the propriety cleaners tend to contain degreasers too?). I think it's "no-rinse" because it breaks down to non-hazardous stuff pretty quick, but I wouldn't want to leave that highly soluble alkaline carbonate in any of my beer. Yeuch!

There are a few other posts on the forum about Astonish Oxy Active Plus.

Found it for £2.99 for 2kg at Home and Bargain this week.

Doesn’t have perfumes or other ingredients other than sodium carbonate / sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate

Same thing ?

Similar but it does have other ingredients as you have said.... I personally wouldn't use it, only pure percarbonate, but each to their own.

Doesn’t have perfumes or other ingredients other than sodium carbonate / sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate

Same thing ?
Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate does appear to be the same as sodium percarbonate. Sodium carbonate (washing soda) is what sodium percarbonate breaks down into. So its either added as a "packer" or they are just covering their butts as I doubt "pure" sodium percarbonate is actually that "pure" - it must have some breakdown products, and the granules are coated in something or other to help it store longer (and flow).

Same thing ?
@chopps was this any good. I like VWP but not that cheap.

Thanks

Another user here of the 2kg Astonish. I've personally had no problems and it is an effective cleaner. I don't regard any oxi cleaner as "no rinse" so I give everything a good rinse out with clean cold water before sanitising separately with Star San.

I was thinking of giving this stuff a go and also have hard water, what are the issues you find?

cheers
It easily leaves a while chalky film over everything especially if you don’t rinse off whiles it’s hot. Boring when you are soaking things.
An acid rinse such as star san solves this though.

Was just getting low myself so bought this on, cost me £11 delivered for 2kg. Cheers! Cheaper than the vanish oxi action I have now.
Hope you have a better experience than I did from that company. They under paid for postage, Royal Mail charged me a £10 to receive the package (before I knew what it was). The actual goods were in a plain unlabelled bag. Could have been anything.

Vendor then refused to answer phone or emails when I complained. I gave up eventually. Now buying from overseas (£30 for 5 x 1kg) which worked OK pre-Brexit will see if it still does.

Hope you have a better experience than I did from that company. They under paid for postage, Royal Mail charged me a £10 to receive the package (before I knew what it was). The actual goods were in a plain unlabelled bag. Could have been anything.

Vendor then refused to answer phone or emails when I complained. I gave up eventually. Now buying from overseas (£30 for 5 x 1kg) which worked OK pre-Brexit will see if it still does.

Oh... That doesn't sound good. Well I've ordered now. If I see a package arrive that needs paying for I might just decline it...

Ordered twice now without issues. It came in a labelled bag and postage paid for.

Glad to see others have found it useful

Order from Naturitas in Spain arrived no problem today. Ordered on 12th so took 9 days to arrive but got 5 x 1kg bags Inc delivery for £29.42. Was worried Brexit would screw it up but all good and should keep me going for a while.

Back