Sodium Percarbonate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...anyone know of any suppliers doing a few kg at a reasonable price?
Make sure you get it from a good source, a lot of sellers on eBay and the like have sodium carbonate mixed in with it, not a 100% percarbonate. Makes for a false economy buying oxiclean and any other household cleaners if you can get 100% percarbonate from a LHB.

I used to get mine from a chems company but I've looked them up and they've gone bust ..
I don't know if you might have some small factory who just makes household cleaners laundry detergents etc close by but they would definitely have some. They usually sell bog rolls too.

I got some and cant help bit notice its really greasy/slippy...maybe im using too high a concentration?
Not necessarily. Sodium percarbonate breaks down to release oxygen, leaving you with a solution of sodium carbonate. This is also known as "washing soda", and is alkaline (though not nearly as "strong" an alkali as caustic soda, aka sodium hydroxide). An alkaline solution will feel slippery because it combines with the oils on your skin, effectively making a "soapy" substance. So, the residue will feel slippery, but that's quite normal and nothing to worry about. It's much safer than caustic soda, which can easily cause skin damage if it's quite concentrated. It definitely needs rinsing after use, though, preferably with a series of several small dilutions rather than one big one.

Latest posts

Back