Sodium Percarbonate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
As per the thread title, does anyone use this stuff?

Seems to come highly recommended for removing stubborn residue, scorched grain, etc. Personally, I find it completely useless. It doesn't lift anything, doesn't seem to bring out any real shine on stainless and leaves a horrible residue which needs cleaned off. Did used to think it made my gear shiny, but compared to a good scrub with hot water and a scourer - there's no difference. Tried all different temperatures too, but to no avail.

Interested to hear what others have to say about it, as mine currently resides in the bin.

I use it to sterilise any stainless steel kegs, taps or fittings. It also lifts any residue when given a soak. I add it to hottish water. I've never used it on scorching though.

One tip for stainless steel - never scrub it with a wire brush or wire wool that isn't made of stainless steel as you will embed mild steel in the surface and that will rust.

Last edited:
A great many people are using sodium percarbonate since it's the primary component of PBW and the generic Oxy cleaners.

Bar Keepers Friend is the dogs for cleaning up stainless. For elements a soak in citric acid works well

I think some of the other ingredients in PBW are to make percarbonate work with all water types. It may be that your water doesn't get on with pure percarbonate without the extras.

Yes. It's the only thing I use to clean and sterilise bottles and fermenters. Sometimes I leave small amount of warm bisulphite solution overnight in the fermenter. Never had any infection.
The best thing for cleaning is good housekeeping. Rinse bottles thoroughly after use. Remove all traces of yeast in the fermenter and let it dry after use.

It is the main ingredient in PBW the other is sodium metasilicate, just using sodium percarbonate does work well as an alkaline cleaner prior to the use of an acid sanitiser. I buy in bulk while I would prefer percarbonate it is not a stable chemical, so not something I want lying around in a hot shed. I use perborate still does the job, but not as environmentally friendly as percarbonate.
Not for giving a shine on stainless kettles and will not remove beer stone, but will lift all the proteinacious debris in the fermenter. Don't dump it keep it.

Vinegar is a good cleaner- white wine vinegar of course! It's a weak acid. Does pans and glass.

As per the thread title, does anyone use this stuff?

Seems to come highly recommended for removing stubborn residue, scorched grain, etc. Personally, I find it completely useless. It doesn't lift anything, doesn't seem to bring out any real shine on stainless and leaves a horrible residue which needs cleaned off. Did used to think it made my gear shiny, but compared to a good scrub with hot water and a scourer - there's no difference. Tried all different temperatures too, but to no avail.

Interested to hear what others have to say about it, as mine currently resides in the bin.
I use it to clean plastic FVs it takes the stains out and the odors like nothing else.

Alkaline cleaners like sodium percarbonate are used to remove organic soil, caustic soda is a better cleaner, but percarbonate is far safer to use for a home brewer. It does leave a residue, so must be rinsed thoroughly and sometimes wiped. Acid cleaners are primarily used to remove limescale.

I have used Wilko's Oxi plus for years, but have recently tried Asda's variant, (unable to get to a Wilko) which seems to leave less of a residue.

Very useful and economical. I get it from the Homebrew Shop, they have their own brand. It is also great for cleaning up coffee stained flasks! Needs a long soak and stirring to get it to dissolve.

I mix a blend of Sodium Percarbonate, Sodium Triphosphate and Oxy washing powder. Then a couple of drops of dishwasher rinse aid.....

Thanks for all the personal input gents.

May try and reduce the amount I'm using to resolve the residue problem. Seems like good old elbow grease is unavoidable sadly!

I got some and cant help bit notice its really greasy/slippy...maybe im using too high a concentration?

I got some and cant help bit notice its really greasy/slippy...maybe im using too high a concentration?
You may be - it really does only need a tsp per litre. Also, you may need to leave it longer to degrade, this can take an hour. But I find a final rinse leaves everything really squeaky clean if needed.

Latest posts

Back