Sodium percarbonate..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I used some to clean the bottom of the kettle as it had a bit of crud on it .. boiling hot oxi soak and a tickle with a scotch brite soon had it shiny..

Giving this thread a bump...

Just had a look and I've got about one scoop of PBW left asad.

Can't really justify £40 for another pot of the stuff. Had anyone managed to blend Sodium Percarbonate with something to make it hard water tolerant- ie so that you don't end up with the horrible white soda ash coating everything even after rinsing?

Can't really justify £40 for another pot of the stuff. Had anyone managed to blend Sodium Percarbonate with something to make it hard water tolerant- ie so that you don't end up with the horrible white soda ash coating everything even after rinsing?
Soda ash is harmless though isn't it? So I think I read anyway.

Are you maybe making too strong a solution? I have fairly hard water and do rinse (just once) clear glass bottles. Mine are crystal clear. I use one heaped teaspoon of sodium percarbonate per litre.

Sodium Carbonate will soften your water.

Are you maybe making too strong a solution? I have fairly hard water and do rinse (just once) clear glass bottles. Mine are crystal clear. I use one heaped teaspoon of sodium percarbonate per litre.
Possibly! I’ve tried before with cheap oxi and percarbonate when I lived in Hampshire (softer water than Essex) and everything was covered in it even stainless. And me being a tight bugger that was a very low dose 😂

Sodium Carbonate will soften your water.
Joking aside, the white residue will be calcium carbonate (chalk) precipitating out from the reaction between the soda ash (calcium carbonate) and the calcium ions in your water.

I find starsan after cleaning bottles does the trick. Vinegar should work, followed by a rinse.

Last edited:
Get some of the newish chempro cleaner...Kegthat. com,forum sponsors has 5kg for about £27...
Cheers Clint, I’ve actually just ordered up a 25Kg drum of Antiformin from Murphy and Sons and stuck in a couple of sacks of grain as well whilst I was at it. £26 plus £14 postage and will last me a life time on a home brew scale. Will report back with how I get on

Cheers Clint, I’ve actually just ordered up a 25Kg drum of Antiformin from Murphy and Sons and stuck in a couple of sacks of grain as well whilst I was at it. £26 plus £14 postage and will last me a life time on a home brew scale. Will report back with how I get on

Would be interested to hear about that, isn't it quite hazardous?

Would be interested to hear about that, isn't it quite hazardous?
Hazardous if not diluted. I intend to keep it well away from anything in the garage and will obviously get a load of PPE on when handling it. Worth a go though at that price. I’ve seen online a lot of micro’s using it with good results

Hazardous if not diluted. I intend to keep it well away from anything in the garage and will obviously get a load of PPE on when handling it. Worth a go though at that price. I’ve seen online a lot of micro’s using it with good results
Plus, you really need to know what all your kit is made from, right down to components inside pumps. Brass fittings don't like caustic and stainless isn't two fond of chlorine in high doses (especially the wrong grade or if its cheap).

Plus, you really need to know what all your kit is made from, right down to components inside pumps. Brass fittings don't like caustic and stainless isn't two fond of chlorine in high doses (especially the wrong grade or if its cheap).
Agreed. All of my kit is stainless and or silicone to my knowledge. It will be used for a very short contact time then thoroughly rinsed. The data sheet says it’s safe for stainless at low concentration (provided its rinsed) so I’ll give it a go

Hi All ,

I wrote to the Astonish company and asked about home brew use,

Subject: Oxi active plus

In home brewing, 30% sodium percarbonate is used for cleaning and sterilising bottles and equipment.
Is your oxi active plus product which is 30% sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate also suitable for cleaning and sterilising home brewing equipment ?

Many thanks for your time,

Mark

This is the answer.

Dear Mark

Thank you for your email.

We can advise that our Oxy Active PLUS Super Concentrated Fabric Stain Remover will be suitable for use on home brewing equipment given the level of active and that it does not contain any fragrance or enzymes which could affect the brewing processing.

We would advise carefully using very hot water with the Oxy Active PLUS Super Concentrated Fabric Stain Remover as this speeds up the action of the product when used outside of a washing machine cycle. After use and emptying the resulting solution we would recommend rinsing the equipment with hot water to ensure all traces are removed.

We do hope this information is of help however should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Looks like good news !

Mark

Hi Guys,

I've started using this astonish cleaner which the manufacturer says is suitable / safe, today I got a 2 kg tub at B&M stores for £2.99 which I thought was a bit of a bargain !

Mark
IMG_20200908_154932181.jpg

Last edited:
No, like the sodium percarbonate I got from the home brew shop it doesn't really smell of anything. (Either that or my visit to Caerphilly yesterday was more dangerous than I thought !)

Mark

No worries, you can always use it for the laundry if you don't like !
For £3 you can't loose in my opinion .

Let us know what you think of it .

Mark

Back