Sodium percarbonate..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
water on its own will not sanitise your equipment ,add starsan/chemsan etc to it and then it will :)

I may be missing the finer points of something being sterilised and sanitized. Isn’t it the same? Anyway soaking in Antiformin, then a quick rinse with water works for me, and I’ve never had any of the problems others seem to have had.

Hi Kelper,

That's a shame, mind you I've not seen 2 kg delivered cheaper at any of the normal sources .

Mark
Well, you got me thinking. I needed a step ladder and Wilko offered the best price, including delivery. So I added a 1kg tub of their oxi-cleaner for only £2.
Wilko are selling Woodfordes Wherry kits for only £20 and buy those too. (Step ladder, 5 step, only £40 made by Abru)

Hi, As a chemist I think I can help here.

"Sodium percarbonate is an addition compound of hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate. Based on the molecular formula, the pure substance sodium percarbonate contains 32.5 % hydrogen peroxide and 67.5 % sodium carbonate (based on weight)."

So the 30% refers to the normal Hydrogen Peroxide constituent in this adduct chemical and means it it is equivalent to 30% available Oxygen (like Hydrogen Peroxide does on its own).
What it is telling you is how strong a bleach it is.
And that is quite strong - so use gloves!
Stay safe!
Helpful, thanks.

Does anyone use this Wilko oxi cleaner for bottles or equipment? It's not perfumed but does feel very soapy. I've not tried it on anything but the laundry, but I'm assuming it's not the same as the no rinse homebrew versions?

IMG_20200914_224810076_MP.jpg

I had used the Wilko one for a couple of years, but with the advent of Covid, I tried Asda's own brand and noticed that it rinsed off the bottles more easily and didn't leave so much of the fine powdery coating. Have recently used Morrison's own, which did leave a noticeable coating on bottles and have bought a tub of the B&M one, but am yet to try.

Thanks for the feedback on Wilko oxi cleaner. I'm currently using VWP for cleaning but it's a lot more expensive and needs two good rinses as it has a heavy chlorine content. I like the idea of a no-rinse sodium percarbonate cleaner - the extra cost could be worth the time saving.

You don't need to rinse as a small residue of sodium carbonate is harmless. But rinse if you wish. You don't have to be anal about it.wink...

I have been using the Wilko Oxi plus for quite some time for cleaning my corny kegs. I find 3 scoops in a keg full of warm water does the trick every time. I also clamp the lid on so that as the gas is released from the Oxi plus the keg becomes pressurised after a while. And if you fit a tap to the keg it will also clean the dip tube and beer line, even the gas in tube.
I clean the beer lines in my kegerator this way too. I do also rinse the residue out with warm water before filling with beer. Never ever had an issue with beer going off for years. In fact I've never had a beer go off and I'm upto 62 brews..

I also clamp the lid on so that as the gas is released from the Oxi plus the keg becomes pressurised after a while. And if you fit a tap to the keg it will also clean the dip tube and beer line, even the gas in tube.
Good plan, I bought 25kg sodium percarbonate and will start doing this with my kegs.

It did make me wonder tho if it is risky as the reaction with water releases pure oxygen. Oxygen under pressure can be extremely dangerous if not handled properly but Im not sure if the pressure we would have in kegs could be enough to present any dangers?

One thing springs to mind....I had a few litres of hot water and oxi in a dirty fv...I decided to give it a good shake up...so proceeded,putting my finger over the hole in the lid. I gave it a good old shake...and the resulting gas popped the lid...soaking the kitchen.
Do it outside!

I didn't want you to come back saying "It's bloody covered in white stuff, why didn't you tell me" 🙂

Tried the Wilko oxi plus on a few test bottles which I left soaking overnight to clean and remove the labels. Gave them two good hot rinses and left them to dry....

Bloody covered in white stuff!

Not sure if the solution was a bit strong or if it's more to do with the soak time (I also live in a hard water area). However, the consensus in this thread seems to be that the residue is harmless and won't affect the beer. In any event I always use starsan before bottling so that may help remove it.

Latest posts

Back