Sodium percarbonate..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HomeBargain Wizz Oxi Powder for Whites rear label says it contains Sodium Percarbonate. It also says <30% Oxygen based bleaching agent.

There’s a web address for full ingredients list, www.dpi.uk.net

This product works well for me. It’s £1.49 a kg. I’ve used it for the last 3 years in the method I described above.

I’ve got a lovely white smile!

I've bought this astonish oxy active plus, attached is a picture of it and of the ingredients, is it safe to use ?

Mark

IMG_20200613_202449690.jpg
Screenshot_20200613-202341.png

So who is getting a bargain? If Clint is getting 100% pure sodium perc then he is getting a bargain. Buying laundry detergents is a false economy, the amount of sodium perc in laundry powders may be 20 to 30 percent. For me I would be sourcing pure sodium perc (not cut back with sodium carbonate) or buying the real deal from a home brew store.

In the wilkos the Wilko branded bruclens sodium percarbonate made by or supplied by Muntons is 30% the same as many laundry products.
But for some reason is much more expensive than the wilkos (&many other brands) sodium percarbonate laundry product.

Mark

Sorry to jump in, I use VWP for my cleaning and chemsan/starsan for sanitising. What’s the difference between vwp and sodium percarbonate
VWP needs rinsing afterwards. Sodium percarbonate turns to water and soda ash after a while, so doesn't need rinsing. (Or so I believe)

I've bought this astonish oxy active plus, attached is a picture of it and of the ingredients, is it safe to use ?

Mark

View attachment 27593View attachment 27594
In case the above is illegible it's
1 sodium carbonate
2 sodium carbonate peroxide

Hi All ,

I wrote to the Astonish company and asked about home brew use,

Subject: Oxi active plus

In home brewing, 30% sodium percarbonate is used for cleaning and sterilising bottles and equipment.
Is your oxi active plus product which is 30% sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate also suitable for cleaning and sterilising home brewing equipment ?

Many thanks for your time,

Mark

This is the answer.

Dear Mark

Thank you for your email.

We can advise that our Oxy Active PLUS Super Concentrated Fabric Stain Remover will be suitable for use on home brewing equipment given the level of active and that it does not contain any fragrance or enzymes which could affect the brewing processing.

We would advise carefully using very hot water with the Oxy Active PLUS Super Concentrated Fabric Stain Remover as this speeds up the action of the product when used outside of a washing machine cycle. After use and emptying the resulting solution we would recommend rinsing the equipment with hot water to ensure all traces are removed.

We do hope this information is of help however should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Looks like good news !

Mark

Last edited:
The Wilko's stuff is back and available for online order. £2 per kg but £5 delivery....So I bought 3 kg of the stuff so that the cost of the product was more than the cost of delivery.

I don't know if anyone could shed any light on this, but I've been reading mixed things about sodium percarbonate and its ability to be used as a steriliser.
Some say it's a no rinse steriliser while others claim it to be just a cleaner. I have read that it can leave carbon ion deposits so it does need rinsing, even though its labelled up as "no rinse"!
I am using it as a steriliser and have started rinsing after each application. My question is, am I safe to continue using it as a steriliser or should I switch to something more appropriate?

I don't know if anyone could shed any light on this, but I've been reading mixed things about sodium percarbonate and its ability to be used as a steriliser.
Some say it's a no rinse steriliser while others claim it to be just a cleaner. I have read that it can leave carbon ion deposits so it does need rinsing, even though its labelled up as "no rinse"!
I am using it as a steriliser and have started rinsing after each application. My question is, am I safe to continue using it as a steriliser or should I switch to something more appropriate?
I've used this to sterilise for the past 2 years with no problems. Although its said to be 'no rinse', I would normally give items a rinse with water. To clean more stubborn stains in my fermentation bucket i find it less effective so use VWP to do this.

The last two posts above have confused me. Firstly, ive no idea why people would use sodium percarbonate as a sterliser (its not, its a cleaner). Secondly, its never been "no rinse" anything.

The last two posts above have confused me. Firstly, ive no idea why people would use sodium percarbonate as a sterliser (its not, its a cleaner). Secondly, its never been "no rinse" anything.
Hence my question wink... athumb..

I use it because that's what was supplied with my very first starter kit. As I said, haven't had any infection issues so if it ain't broke...

Sodium permanganate is an organic bleach that decomposes into harmless oxygen, water, and salts. All harmless, all tasteless. Choose whether to rinse or not.

It does a good job of cleaning and like most bleach kills 99.9% of everything you don’t want anywhere near your beer.

It’s ALL I’ve used forever and always done a good job - I may just be lucky! :confused.:

Latest posts

Back