Sodium percarbonate..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others it's what came in my starter kit, so it's what I continue to use, so far without issue.

I did ask this question but the answers were like in this thread with some degree of o yes it is / o no it isn't to them.

I would say go with whatever works for you.

Mark

Hi all. So let me add to the confusion.
I noticed this discrepancy a few months ago.
Wilco's Bruclens cleaner and steriliser.
Only ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate. Instructions say you need to rinse afterwards.
The other is labelled as no rinse steriliser and guess what. Only ingredient is again Sodium Percarbonate.... So which is it?
I always use it to clean and then rinse. Then sanitise with starsan or equivalent. But is no rinse advice wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200706-184814.jpg
    Screenshot_20200706-184814.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200706_191351.jpg
    20200706_191351.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 111
Only ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate. Instructions say you need to rinse afterwards.
The other is labelled as no rinse steriliser and guess what. Only ingredient is again Sodium Percarbonate.... So which is it?
I always use it to clean and then rinse. Then sanitise with starsan or equivalent. But is no rinse advice wrong?

I don’t believe it’s necessary to rinse but you can get what looks like water marks from the disolved salts drying on the surface, you don’t get that if you rinse with cold water. I do rinse glass bottles, I don’t rinse anything else.

I'm still not sure as a noob but the way I see it is clean with percarbonate and then rinse a lot - I tend to overdo it perhaps and rinse up to 5 times. (The beer is 95% what comes out of my tap anyway). Then do a full Starsan or Chemsan sanitise no rinse.

I've never rinsed, and never had an issue.

I've never rinsed, and never had an issue.
My worry regarding not rinsing is, if it is harmful to us. Just because the beer tastes ok, it doesn't mean it is not harming us. I am no chemist so I just don't know. Or am I worrying too much.🤣

My worry regarding not rinsing is, if it is harmful to us. Just because the beer tastes ok, it doesn't mean it is not harming us. I am no chemist so I just don't know. Or am I worrying too much.🤣
The remaining product is soda ash, which is safe. Give it a Google to be sure

Can Sodium percarbonate be used safely on stainless? Is it ok for an SS Brewbucket?

Im still using PBW which is a lot more expensive, I bulk buy (I think around 10kg) but still a lot more than sodium percarbonate.

Can Sodium percarbonate be used safely on stainless? Is it ok for an SS Brewbucket?

Im still using PBW which is a lot more expensive, I bulk buy (I think around 10kg) but still a lot more than sodium percarbonate.
I use it on my corny kegs without any problems. It does leave a white residue (the "soda ash") which can be wiped off if it bothers you.

There‘s definitely more going on in PBW, I am on the last dregs too, so need to figure something out...

B052-E092-0-E13-435-A-8539-0620-B2-AA8-B3-C.jpg

There‘s definitely more going on in PBW, I am on the last dregs too, so need to figure something out...

B052-E092-0-E13-435-A-8539-0620-B2-AA8-B3-C.jpg

Remember that sodium percarbonate in it’s pre-used form is a strong organic bleach (why it works as a cleaner / sanitiser) so it would be as dangerous as taking a swig of bleach. Only after use does it decompose into harmless components.

Latest posts

Back