Solar panels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solar is something I have thought about. I have a large South facing roof and with rising electric prices it could make more sense. I have oil heating and a log burner, heating costs aren't that high. Electric costs could come down.

I do have the right water tank to fight solar heated water too but at present I heat the water via electric for 45 mins in the morning and 45 in the evening and that gives us hot water throughout the day. I can hear it via oil but find i need to run the boiler for much longer.

When I lived in North Wales my neighbour had a wooden pole on his land that carried the local power supply. He got £12/year from the network company for use of his land.

When I purchased my recent house and previous house both Solicitors stated that Solar on the roof complicates the deal with Mortgage companies if you don’t own the asset outright.

In my case it didn’t apply.

Our estate agent in Wales was of a similar opinion, when we told them that we had a solar pv system.

I now live in Aberdeenshire and have a Solar hot water system fitted to this house. In the summer on a sunny day we get a 300 litre tank of water at 60+C by lunchtime. In late December when it doesn’t get light until after 9am and is dark by 15:30 the water gets to 11C on a good day. It is currently getting to about 25C on a sunny day. In the wintertime our incoming water temperature from a private borehole is around 6C on average.
Interesting to get data from a working system! I was just wondering what system/size do you have? -ours is 30 tube on south vertical wall 1.85kw with 400l +150l overflow. We also have a well for a future project,,,,,,

We had solar panels fitted at the end of last year. By a very good company called TCL solar. I can’t recommend them highly enough. We have 12 panels and solar boost which uses surplus generated electricity to heat water. Cost just £5 k.

We decided against a storage battery because of cost, and limited lifespan. But these no doubt will become much cheaper and reliable over time. And then it will be a no brainer.

We too looked into air source heat pumps to replace our oil boiler but the cost is high (£14 k) As is their electricity consumption. You would be unlikely to generate enough electricity in the winter to power it, even with a battery.

There are two Solar collectors on the roof.

There’s a Grant pumping system to deliver the warm glycol to a heating coil in the base of our cylinder.

The manual doesn’t specify an output for the solar collectors.

The cylinder is an Unvented solar indirect cylinder 300 litres.

When the collector temp gets to be 10C higher than the thermostat in the bottom of the cylinder, then the pump starts to circulate the glycol. When the differential is 3C or less it stops.

Todays water temp at the bottom of the cylinder is 24C.

In the summer we don’t use our boiler.

I boy looked in the box of manuals (if it’s not a front of the draw, then it’s not in there).

The better half has found the grant manual.

We have 2 panels arranged portrait, as per top left.

Spec for panels also below.

278BEDA6-4907-42AD-9112-BE9A2733248C.jpeg
3149E985-C632-4043-8FDB-87332F7E3AB6.jpeg

Your friend should be asking for a lot more.
When I lived in North Wales my neighbour had a wooden pole on his land that carried the local power supply. He got £12/year from the network company for use of his land.

When I purchased my recent house and previous house both Solicitors stated that Solar on the roof complicates the deal with Mortgage companies if you don’t own the asset outright.

In my case it didn’t apply.

Our estate agent in Wales was of a similar opinion, when we told them that we had a solar pv system.

He wasn’t a friend. He was a neighbour who purchased the land and built his own house in 2008. Maybe it was a historical contract. I looked at buying some of the land off him, and his Mrs said you would be eligible for £12 a year for the pole if you purchased that piece.

I jumped on board the solar in 2009, forecast was energy prices were to sky rocket the deal was surplus to go back into the grid and we would get paid 64 cent per kWh. No brainer when we were paying around 30 c a kWh to buy it. I can't make any changes to my system and the deal ends in 2024.
So with the current state government offering batteries for half price I will take up that offer and increase my solar panels to be self sufficient for energy and get rid of the gas.
We export gas to Japan cheaper than what we can buy it for!

We have 5.5 kW array on our roof and are country mile away from being self sufficient. Only during the summer months we do not require gas due to excess energy heating the water tank.

You just cannot generate enough electricity in the winter.

We have 5.5 kW array on our roof and are country mile away from being self sufficient. Only during the summer months we do not require gas due to excess energy heating the water tank.

You looked into a battery?

Don't have that problem over here , just doesn't generate quite as much electricity during the winter months.

How much roof space does that use up out of interest?

Ex workmate got 3.5k a year off a mobile mast on his land and that was 10 years ago.
When 4g was coming round, we found out that we wouldn't get coverage in out area, and the 3g was poor. A group of us bought part of a field and installed a 4g mast. It was sold to EE for £250000.

I am almost certainly going to be going ahead with getting solar panels and a battery. Thanks to all for the advice and knowledge. Most likely a GivEnergy system but waiting on one other quote from a different company to make the final call.

When Uncle Vlad starts snipping the cables, my house will be a beacon of light in a Mad Max style hellscape where light and warmth are the new petrol, and I shall see you all at my ticket booth 😀

I am almost certainly going to be going ahead with getting solar panels and a battery. Thanks to all for the advice and knowledge. Most likely a GivEnergy system but waiting on one other quote from a different company to make the final call.

Interested to get prices of the systems. As an alternative have you seen the Scottish power deals around this? https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/solar-panels

Out solar hot water kit has arrived awaiting out 400l HLT then we can finally install.
Vlad can keep his mitts off our Enviropunk system clapa

Interested to get prices of the systems. As an alternative have you seen the Scottish power deals around this? https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/solar-panels

Out solar hot water kit has arrived awaiting out 400l HLT then we can finally install.
Vlad can keep his mitts off our Enviropunk system clapa
DMd you brother.

I have a decision to make now but waiting on answers to a couple of queries from each supplier before I make the call

As I understand it,,,, o_O:roll: The PV's generate power that charges batteries + Eco7 nightime. If you don't use it in house the excess gets exported and you get paid for this I found this on the site;
"All medium - large electricity suppliers are required to offer a SEG tariff to any generator with an eligible installation.
Our SEG tariff is called ‘Smart Export Variable’ and we will pay generators on this tariff for every unit of electricity they export. As it is a variable tariff, the price may move up or down from time to time. The current price of this tariff is:
Tariff name: Smart Export Variable tariff
Price per kWH: 01/01/20 - 30/11/2021 = 4p
after 01/12/2021 = 5.5p"
Interesting eh?
But battery life is also the thing I'm thinking about?

As I understand it,,,, o_O:roll: The PV's generate power that charges batteries + Eco7 nightime. If you don't use it in house the excess gets exported and you get paid for this I found this on the site;
"All medium - large electricity suppliers are required to offer a SEG tariff to any generator with an eligible installation.
Our SEG tariff is called ‘Smart Export Variable’ and we will pay generators on this tariff for every unit of electricity they export. As it is a variable tariff, the price may move up or down from time to time. The current price of this tariff is:
Tariff name: Smart Export Variable tariff
Price per kWH: 01/01/20 - 30/11/2021 = 4p
after 01/12/2021 = 5.5p"
Interesting eh?
But battery life is also the thing I'm thinking about?

Thanks! And... who pays for the initial installation? I have a massive south facing roof and have been thinking about this for awhile, just not gone for it as the wife hasnt been keen!

Yes, battery life, I hadnt thought about that, an important bit of info to get!

Back