Solar panels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite to close the loop here, but an update.... I am 95% sure im going for a 4.55kW, 10 panel array, with an 8.2kW GivEnergy battery system.

Not quite to close the loop here, but an update.... I am 95% sure im going for a 4.55kW, 10 panel array, with an 8.2kW GivEnergy battery system.
Do you mind me asking what price range that falls into. It's something I would consider, will 10 panels run the house all year

How much roof space does that use up out of interest?

Both sides, it’s a east/west split.

E562B432-B301-41AC-AB62-A94484E73B42.jpeg

Attachments

• B7795223-A833-47C1-BC1F-0546274A4BD1.jpeg
    B7795223-A833-47C1-BC1F-0546274A4BD1.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 36
Wow, very nice @LeeH

However you can also ground mount.
I'm thinking of mounting them adjacent to a 1m high south facing wall. The advantage for us is;

a) Protection from the stormy weather (50-80mph) that we consider 'normal' winter winds up here,,,, :roll:
b) Much easier to clean salt, bird, cat poo build up off them.
c) Possible relocation if we need to develop the garden,,, as my missus keep having 'new' building ideas😥
d) Easier maintenance for a creaky old duffer that falls off/over things all the time,,,,,,:tinhat:
e) Somewhere new and warm for the cats to have a dump on,,,,,ashock1

Just a thought or two!

How are we all doing with the solar? I’ve had a few 10kWh days this month with the good weather. Having a partly shaded array this time of year I won’t generate as much as the people with unshaded south facing roofs but at the current energy prices payback time will be much quicker.

We're up and trucking... Availability of batteries means I am currently running a 5.2 until my 8.2 arrives.... Some teething problems with some proper dodgy readings, but I turned the CT clamp around and all appears well.

I still need to complete the switch to Octopus Agile and get a smart meter installed before this journey is completed, but so far, I'm very impressed with the system, and am becoming suitably obsessed with the app and managing consumption.

GIRFUY Big 6 and Ofgem

Screenshot_20220610-131841.jpg

Just wondered if anyone had experience of the Solar Together schemes.
These are organised by local councils as a group buying venture in which firms tender for large contracts in the given locality.
After registration you pay a deposit after which you get a home survey and subsequent installation date.

Price doesn't seem that competitive and looking on TrustPilot and Facebook reviews are poor.
Thinking I'll probably go with a local firm even if it takes a bit longer as demand is so high at the moment.

I'm in Bucks but these schemes are running all over the country.
Any feedback would be appreciated - cheers !

Just wondered if anyone had experience of the Solar Together schemes.
These are organised by local councils as a group buying venture in which firms tender for large contracts in the given locality.
After registration you pay a deposit after which you get a home survey and subsequent installation date.

Price doesn't seem that competitive and looking on TrustPilot and Facebook reviews are poor.
Thinking I'll probably go with a local firm even if it takes a bit longer as demand is so high at the moment.

I'm in Bucks but these schemes are running all over the country.
Any feedback would be appreciated - cheers !
They are doing something similar here with large communal batteries, a lot of people putting in big systems and making about 100-150 GBP a week selling electricity to the grid plus having all their own power.

The picture at the back panels are shaded by the trees, are you going to lop them?

They had 40% taken off them 4 years ago. The cost/benefit to get them done again does not stack up.

All panels have optimisers on them so still function well. They don’t stay in the shade as the sun moves around.

Cheers.

June has been my best month so far this year.

Attachments

• 71ED60F8-2D28-484C-882A-597A4DBEA3C0.jpeg
    71ED60F8-2D28-484C-882A-597A4DBEA3C0.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
Best month ever was May 2020 at 840!

Attachments

• 852877CC-CB30-4BB3-BF1C-644B4F1C8881.png
    852877CC-CB30-4BB3-BF1C-644B4F1C8881.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
Anybody with solar in the climate really are reaping the benefits this year at almost 30p a unit import cost and still raising.

Back