Solomon grundy kit stuck

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doccy

Reaction score
Hi all I was brewing up a concentrate kit for the SO (Solomon Grundy Pinot Grigio), I had it it in the fermenter for a week and didn't pay any attention to it unfortunately. It was meant to be fully fermented in a week but when I took the FG it was still over 1050 and I belatedly realised I hadn't really heard it bubbling over the week.

I've moved the fermentor it into a water bucket at 24 degrees, but 24 hours later theres still no sign of bubbling in the fermentor. I'm wondering is there anything I can do here to rescue this?

Ignore kit timings they are all wildly optimistic, if your house is around 20c there is no need to heat it be patient it'll be finished when the yeast has eaten all the sugar it may take another couple of days or a week.

but 24 hours later theres still no sign of bubbling in the fermentor.

Don't use bubbles as an indication fermentation is still going or not most FV's are not airtight the hydrometer is the only way you will know for sure, leave it another 3 days and take another reading, if you are concerned give the FV a good swirl it may help.

Fair play, i'll give it another 24 hours and test again

You may have missed my earlier post (relevant part below) 24 hours isn't going to make much difference leave it 3 days its not going to drop from 1050 to .995 in a day.

the hydrometer is the only way you will know for sure, leave it another 3 days and take another reading, if you are concerned give the FV a good swirl it may help.

Got ya now, I was more worried it never started fermentation than it stalled (I never took a starting gravity). I haven't really made much wine only beer and I'll get it in the neck if I end up with 50 quids worth of drain cleaner haha

Got ya now, I was more worried it never started fermentation than it stalled (I never took a starting gravity). I haven't really made much wine only beer and I'll get it in the neck if I end up with 50 quids worth of drain cleaner haha
I am sure i will be corrected if wrong but i would think it started around 1090

I haven't really made much wine only beer and I'll get it in the neck if I end up with 50 quids worth of drain cleaner haha

It'll be fine just leave it a few days and check again, i have made many SG kits in the past and have never had one fail.

Latest posts

Back