Solution to over carbonated beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBruns

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to home brewing. I have made a nice looking Bavarian Wheat Beer (Mangrove Jacks). Unfortunately the kit did not specify the quantity of priming sugar so II added 1 teaspoon (5 ml). The result is an impossibly active bottle that goes everythere with the slightest unscrewing of the lids. This results in the sediment rapidly rising up the bottle and leaving it all totally cloudy (and all over the floor if I was to fully unscrew the lid). I certainly don't want to throw the beer away. So I wondered if anyone had any ideas? I thought about possibly sterilising the bucket again and tipping all of the bottles into the bucket, mixing the beer around until it's flat once again and then rebottle, with an appropriate amount of sugar - c2.5ml/half teaspoon - so effectively starting again. Do you think this will work?

Thank you for your help

When you want to drink a bottle open it carefully and decant it in to a large jug. When it has calmed down pour it in to a glass and drink.
Don't worry if it is a bit cloudy.

If you have a fridge with enough space then chill the bottles to near freezing. Unscrew the lid to release the pressure to equalise with atmospheric pressure - but won’t foam up due to the temperature, then tighten the lid again. The pressure will reach equilibrium again as it warms to usual serving temperature and will be less carbonated.

When you want to drink a bottle open it carefully and decant it in to a large jug. When it has calmed down pour it in to a glass and drink.
Don't worry if it is a bit cloudy.

Thank you. I will try that but I fear that it is REALLY fizzy and is incredibly sedimenty, which is impacting on its taste

If the bottles are as carbed as you are saying you do need to vent the pressure carefully by cooling down as suggested then slowly-slowly releasing pressure you can then re-cap and let pressure up again.
Word of warning be very careful if they are seriously carbed as the next stage is bottle bombs I would suggest handling each bottle with a tea towel wrapped around them just incase

@MarkBruns
Couple of things might be overcarbed because ferment hadn't finished when you primed and bottled, hence extra sugar on top of your priming and so more ferment and extra gas.
Next time make sure with hydrometer that the FG is stable for a good couple of days before bottling.
It is a wheat beer so cloudy is what you want and normally a bit more carb than a pale ale anyway and would normally pour it and then swirl the last inch around to rouse up the sediment and pour it in on top.
But as all above said get it really cold, crack the top a bit with safety precautions and if that doesn't work get a really large jug and decant into that.

Latest posts

Back