Some advice please...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfhorse

Reaction score
I have started an IPA kit from Make Your Own Beer and after seven days I need to add the contents of a hop sachet and not stir. The brew is about 20l.

I would like to make the brew more hoppy so I have bought some Citra hop pellets and intend to use them to increase the hoppiness. My question is this; how much of the hop pellets do I put in (I have 100g) and how do I introduce them and when.

Thanks in advance.

It’s a bit of a how longs a piece of string question, but maybe start with say 50g?

You might want to bag the hops when you put them in to make it easier to syphon off the beer afterwards, especially if you don’t have the ability to cold crash.

Someone more experienced can say whether this is rubbish or not but in this hot weather, I feel like dry hopping too long can impart a bit more green/grassiness so I’d just add them for the last 3-4 days before bottling/kegging.

I’ve only dry hopped half a dozen times so take with a pinch of salt [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently dry hopped with a total of 140g in 23l, and that worked for me. Try 50g.

I have read that the grassy notes occur at about a week, so I agree with 3-4 days for the dry hop. I would be tempted to leave it until day 10 though as 2 weeks primary is recommended.

Not sure you need to bag them. I didn't.

One last bit of advice is to bottle direct from primary with large dry hop additions as transfer can easily lead to oxidation and puddle water.

Latest posts

Back