Some help with method on first AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll have la go after work 😀

Attachments

• 944BADE0-1E0C-4D53-B78E-73997659CC02.png
    944BADE0-1E0C-4D53-B78E-73997659CC02.png
    104 KB · Views: 56
Beat advice is just do it and see how it turns out. I put off my first AG for weeks but then just did it (I have a grainfather) and the system itself does most of the hard work. Brew calculators are a godsend! I tend to use 15-16 litres of strike water when I do my brews.
Make sure you keep notes of your process each time you brew, amounts and timings etc but most importantly, enjoy it. It was nowhere near as fiddly as I expected (albeit time consuming) and I still love the smell of each stage. The first time you add hops to the boil and get the smell filling the house/garage it kind of makes it all worth it.
Also don’t forget to add a protofloc tablet 15 minutes before the end of the boil (like I still keep forgetting to do 😂).

The actual weight of grain delivered against the recipient weight is a difference of 475g.

I was thinking of adding the extra weight to the main Golden promise grain weight. They are all in the same bag, so I don’t really know where the variance is.

I’m assuming it’s going to make a difference the water.

I'm worried this is too much for the brewzilla.

The recipe calls for a total grain weight of 4260g

The total weight on the packing slip for grain is 4460g

The weight of the bag of grain is 4735g

Difference in grain weight is 475g

So using the brewfather software I added the extra 475 grams to the Golden promise, but according to the software the water amounts have been adjusted to not exceed the water limit of the system, by almost a litre.

The final water comes out at:
20l Mash water
13.14 Sparge water
33.14 Total water
23.17 Mash volume

I'm worried this will make the mash too thick or will boil over easily. Not what I want on a first attempt!
Does anybody have an opinion/advice?

I'm worried this is too much for the brewzilla.

The recipe calls for a total grain weight of 4260g

The total weight on the packing slip for grain is 4460g

The weight of the bag of grain is 4735g

Difference in grain weight is 475g

So using the brewfather software I added the extra 475 grams to the Golden promise, but according to the software the water amounts have been adjusted to not exceed the water limit of the system, by almost a litre.

The final water comes out at:
20l Mash water
13.14 Sparge water
33.14 Total water
23.17 Mash volume

I'm worried this will make the mash too thick or will boil over easily. Not what I want on a first attempt!
Does anybody have an opinion/advice?

Nope that looks about right...

The Mash and the grain will come up to the 23L Mark (Mash Volume) at the end of the mash you are going to lift out the malt pipe and you'll find you've got about 16-17 litres of wort in the kettle.

You'll pour the 13L of sparge through the mashed grain a bit at a time once your done you'll have your pre boil volume which is roughly mash water + sparge water - whatever the grain has absorbed, probably around 28 Litres of so.

Right, I’ve spent what seemed like half an hour, was actually all afternoon, cleaning, checking recipe, ingredients, running the Brewzilla with water for the first time and everything in between. I’m filled with water, half a campden tablet and all set to kick off tomorrow morning.

The only thing I can think of now is that I wanted the brew to be a session beer at 3.8 and with the extra grain they sent, it will be 4.3

Just wondering if there is a formula or rule of thumb for adding water to bring it down a bit, if indeed it actually reaches the OG of 1.043?

Apart from that, I’m fired up and ready to go 😀

Honestly i wouldn't even worry about it at the moment.Just enjoy your brew day acheers.

Even if you do get to og 1.043 and your fg is 1.012 you will still have a good session beer at just over 4% that probably wont last very long lol.

Right, I’ve spent what seemed like half an hour, was actually all afternoon, cleaning, checking recipe, ingredients, running the Brewzilla with water for the first time and everything in between. I’m filled with water, half a campden tablet and all set to kick off tomorrow morning.

The only thing I can think of now is that I wanted the brew to be a session beer at 3.8 and with the extra grain they sent, it will be 4.3

Just wondering if there is a formula or rule of thumb for adding water to bring it down a bit, if indeed it actually reaches the OG of 1.043?

Apart from that, I’m fired up and ready to go 😀

You can dilute the wort at the end of the boil if you really really need to.

As it is your first brew with a new bit of kit, I would focus on getting to the end of the process with some wort.

I find as the boil timer gets down to 10-15 mins is I suddenly have a lot to keep track of with the last few additions and making sure that the cold side is clean and ready for the wort.

The first couple of times brewing with my Grainfather I was stood over if for the duration and was just grateful to have cool wort at the end of it all. Once you've used it a couple of times you'll get the process nailed down and then you can start worrying about hitting numbers.

Relax and enjoy it, 0.5% is not worth stressing over.

So far so good. Started around 10, water up to temp.

Added the grain slowly, no dough balls.

Stood for 10 mins, added 6 g of Magnum, pump on. Circulating well.

First cock up, the telescopic pipe connected to the bottom mesh won’t move up or down. That’s my fault, as I know it was working yesterday when I tested the whole system. I must have put it back together incorrectly.

Hopefully I won’t need an overflow pipe 😀

Attachments

• 4DEE2F86-3492-4486-AB2E-C8CA7647E2DF.jpeg
    4DEE2F86-3492-4486-AB2E-C8CA7647E2DF.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0316.MOV
    34.5 MB

Latest posts

Back