Some People Need Locking up!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW911

Landlord.
Reaction score
So, I sell a lot of homebrew supplies, from our bricks and mortar shop, our own website, and (unfortunately?) Amazon.
Whilst having a good reputation, very healthy sales at the moment, and good feedback, we do get the odd return.
I had one today, just before I finished work for the day.
The item in question was a 2" cap for a pressure barrel. Buyer said it was faulty, as it wasn't letting gas into the barrel.
Opened the returned parcel, not only to find that it wasn't the item that was sent out, but it was wrapped in a USED COVID-19 TEST WRAPPER, complete with the empty swab wrapper.
Who in their right mind would do such a thing?
Needless to say, he won't be getting a refund!!!

Reported this to Amazon today.
Predictably, they've not responded yet.
Seriously thinking about speaking to the police about it...

Shop, website, and Amazon. Can't post details for obvious reasons...
(I'm just an employee there, so can't make advertising/sponsorship decisions...)

So, I sell a lot of homebrew supplies, from our bricks and mortar shop, our own website, and (unfortunately?) Amazon.
Whilst having a good reputation, very healthy sales at the moment, and good feedback, we do get the odd return.
I had one today, just before I finished work for the day.
The item in question was a 2" cap for a pressure barrel. Buyer said it was faulty, as it wasn't letting gas into the barrel.
Opened the returned parcel, not only to find that it wasn't the item that was sent out, but it was wrapped in a USED COVID-19 TEST WRAPPER, complete with the empty swab wrapper.
Who in their right mind would do such a thing?
Needless to say, he won't be getting a refund!!!
On reading your thread title I assumed it was a reference to Donald Trump

But I believe that you should report it to the Police

Not funny and very dangerous from some one

Shook me up a bit. (I have a weakened immune system due to a long term illness). I've worked all through the lockdowns, as it was deemed safe because I was not in contact with anyone, and not on the shop floor. Was my idea, to try and keep the business running through mail order sales, and save the jobs of my colleagues.

I would report this to the police - it may be an offence under the Covid 2020 Act.

In any case, it is not a joke and any person who opened or came into contact with the package should either consider getting a test or self-isolate for 14 days (and get a test if they develop symptoms during that period). Better to be safe than sorry.

Remember there is no such thing as private messages on this forum, only conversations which get viewed.

Wrong - the only difference between private messages (other forums use) and conversations (here) is the words used to describe them, if you have proof that is not the case I would love to hear it.

Definitely report it to the police. Maybe keep it in another sealed bag in the meantime to protect the evidence.

Thank you all for your comments/advice.
The more I think about, the more I'm inclined to report it to the police.
It's all sealed up in box at work, (clearly marked), and we also photographed all the items.

Wrong - the only difference between private messages (other forums use) and conversations (here) is the words used to describe them, if you have proof that is not the case I would love to hear it.

Sorry chippy I know you have been waiting for an answer - your 'conversation' prompted you.

As in physical hard evidence no, could I produce witness testimonies, yes.

It was a while back now and my memory of the full details as been effected by homebrew but others may remember hence why I am posting here instead of relying directly to you.

A new member joined the forum and began messaging members asking them to join his forum. No details were posted on the open forum about this but you messaged the members who had received messages and in your message it included text from those 'private messages'. I believe a message was also sent to the person who was poaching members.

What I read into it is that those messages must have been read. Ok one of the members may have sent you screenshots of those messages but you wouldn't have known who received messages unless you can see them all

A new member joined the forum and began messaging members asking them to join his forum. No details were posted on the open forum about this but you messaged the members who had received messages and in your message it included text from those 'private messages'. I believe a message was also sent to the person who was poaching members.

What I read into it is that those messages must have been read. Ok one of the members may have sent you screenshots of those messages but you wouldn't have known who received messages unless you can see them all

Thanks for explaining and giving me the opportunity to put members minds at rest.

Back in the day you describe above we were running a totally different software and in those days they were called private messages this only changed to conversations when we moved to the new forum software, we do not have have access to either they are both private communications.

As for what happened back in the day you mention above (when they were called private messages)

No details were posted on the open forum about this but you messaged the members who had received messages and in your message it included text from those 'private messages'.

We were informed by many members that someone was sending them messages asking them to join their forum so it was simply a case of banning the member sending them and doing the same every time they joined under a new name.

I cannot remember doing this back then so it may have been done by another Admin or owner, if it happened today i would simply send a message to all forum members (which can be done by one click in the settings) saying we have someone trying to poach members (including evidence form the reported messages) and could anyone receiving a message kindly send it to the mod team so the person sending them could be dealt with.

I will say again no private messages or conversations are read by moderators or Admins and they never have been.

Last edited:
Chippy_Tea is right. Conversations cannot be read by even me and I have the highest settings. We can have someone report a conversation and see part of the actual conversation, as that could happen in the prior Private Messages. Also, we get Conversations (prior PMs) with screen shots or cut and paste of a private conversation.

So, we can find out from any one telling us, but as to harvesting and reading your messages, not happening. And I would not want it to. So, please know if someone joins and starts messaging you, we are not going to know unless you or another intended victim tells us.

Latest posts

Back