Someone else's recipe that you'd like to brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me think of what next to brew....It could be anything, i'm not bothered (apart from @Drunkula bird seed beer).

I thought it might be fun to post someone else's recipe that you'd like to brew, but haven't......and then we can all get some ideas?

I'll kick off with one that i'd like to brew, but not next...An Ankou's red IPA.

14 lb Bestmalz Red-X (and nothing else)
I did an overnight mash starting at 64C and raising back to 64C after half an hour. There's no need to mash overnight, it just shortens my brew day.
Bittering Hops (75 minute boil)
Magnum to 34 BUs
Flavour Hops (15 minute boil)
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
(Alpha acid content was 9.3%, 7%, 12.4% contributing 41.5 BUs overall. Either go with that or adjust the bittering hops to give an overall BUs of 75-76)
Half a Protofloc tablet
Hop Steep 15 mins. Hops added when wort temperature drops below 80C
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
Dry Hopping (3 full days)
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Cascade
2 oz Mosaic
Yeast
Fermentis US-05 (You need a fairly neutral, high attenuating yeast to reach the final gravity)

Nice idea for a thread, and the @An Ankoù recipe looks great.

Whilst the beer @Pennine put into the June comp didn't win it's the one I'd most like to brew

5.00 kgPale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)72.5 %
0.56 kgCaramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC)8.1 %
0.50 kgCarafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)7.2 %
0.50 kgOats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)7.2 %
0.20 kgChocolate Rye Malt (492.5 EBC)2.9 %
0.14 kgCHÂTEAU CAFÉ LIGHT® (250.2 EBC)2.0 %
50.00 gCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min31.6 IBUs
30.00 gChinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 100.0 C16.3 IBUs
30.00 gChinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2.0 min, 95.0 C2.7 IBUs
1.0 pkgSafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml]-
30.00 mlVanilla Extract (Bottling)-

@pilgrimhudd sounds like that, not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet.

I really can't wait to spring the bird beer on people. Sadly things with wheat tend to deteriorate fairly quickly. It's a faff but those beers genuinely are nice.

I can't for the life of me think of what next to brew....It could be anything, i'm not bothered (apart from @Drunkula bird seed beer).

I thought it might be fun to post someone else's recipe that you'd like to brew, but haven't......and then we can all get some ideas?

I'll kick off with one that i'd like to brew, but not next...An Ankou's red IPA.

I did an overnight mash starting at 64C and raising back to 64C after half an hour. There's no need to mash overnight, it just shortens my brew day.
Magnum to 34 BUs
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
(Alpha acid content was 9.3%, 7%, 12.4% contributing 41.5 BUs overall. Either go with that or adjust the bittering hops to give an overall BUs of 75-76)
Half a Protofloc tablet
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Cascade
2 oz Mosaic
Yeast
Fermentis US-05 (You need a fairly neutral, high attenuating yeast to reach the final gravity)
I can confirm that it makes a cracking beer, @An Ankoù's was great and my attempt to brew it was one of my best IPAs.

@pilgrimhudd sounds like that, not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet.

I really can't wait to spring the bird beer on people. Sadly things with wheat tend to deteriorate fairly quickly. It's a faff but those beers genuinely are nice.

It would make me so happy if you'd put that in this months freestyle competition. Style doesn't get much more free.

It would make me so happy if you'd put that in this months freestyle competition. Style doesn't get much more free.
Dammit - batch is so small I need it for victims. If I do it again I would. Somebody on Freecycle today is giving away 18kg of wheat about 500 metres from me because they only wanted 2kg to make some wheat cushions..... soooo tempting.....

Magnum to 34 BUs
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
Half a Protofloc tablet
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Mosaic
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Cascade
2 oz Mosaic
Yeast
That one is on my brew list. I have to order redx. Unfortunately geterbrew don't sell it.

Have you got it yet?
I got no grain mill, otherwise I'd be on it like a shark on a baby seal.

I suppose I could go all chicha and ask Janet the Tusks over the road to chew them for me. Honestly, the way she goes on you could tip them by the shovel full into the corner of her face and put a bucket under her chin and she wouldn't notice.

Nice idea for a thread, and the @An Ankoù recipe looks great.

Whilst the beer @Pennine put into the June comp didn't win it's the one I'd most like to brew

5.00 kgPale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)72.5 %
0.56 kgCaramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC)8.1 %
0.50 kgCarafa I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC)7.2 %
0.50 kgOats, Malted (Thomas Fawcett) (3.9 EBC)7.2 %
0.20 kgChocolate Rye Malt (492.5 EBC)2.9 %
0.14 kgCHÂTEAU CAFÉ LIGHT® (250.2 EBC)2.0 %
50.00 gCascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min31.6 IBUs
30.00 gChinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min, 100.0 C16.3 IBUs
30.00 gChinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 2.0 min, 95.0 C2.7 IBUs
1.0 pkgSafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T-58) [23.66 ml]-
30.00 mlVanilla Extract (Bottling)-

This looks nice!

I can't seem to @An ankou

Don't want to be a party pooper etc..I've sold animal grade feeds...mostly bird and small animal for over over 20 years..they are that..animal grade,not screened,and come from other countries as well as the UK.
Be careful...a particular nasty is ergot...a fungal disease prevalent in places with poorer control and mixed with wild grasses...

Back