Sour / Funky Beer Request

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had Marriage Parfait and it was ok, but I don't think I was able to finish the bottle. Thanks for the recommendation, I do want to try their kriek.

I found Boon Kriek very sweet, not that sour. The cherries overwhelmed the character of the base beer for me. My favourite Kriek I’ve tried has been Hanssen’s which was quite a lot more sour but still plenty of fruit.

I found Boon Kriek very sweet, not that sour. The cherries overwhelmed the character of the base beer for me. My favourite Kriek I’ve tried has been Hanssen’s which was quite a lot more sour but still plenty of fruit.
The Boon Oude Kriek is better.

For the OP the sweeter Boon Kriek might be a good recommendation. There are a couple of Lindemans that are very good, yet a bit more approachable, the Oude Kriek and Cuvee Rene Oude Gueuze. As would Cuvee or Kriek from De Ranke, which are blend of Lambic and Golden Ale. Although I suspect some German sour styles would be more suitable, such as Berlinerweisse.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Out hipstering the hipsters. I like it. What do we call sour beer now?
Ha! Not sure what we 'should' call them, but Sour seems a bit of a vague term to me. It pretty much covers everything including BWeiss, gose, kettle soured quick turnaround face crunchers, lambic, spontaneous ferments, etc. Etc. So from a practical POV, it's not particularly useful. From a more philosophical POV, it puts undue emphasis on one aspect of what might be a very complex beer (disclaimer, these are the styles I prefer). Like lumping food like chilli con carne, Rogan Josh, Thai curries etc under the name Spicy

Ha! Not sure what we 'should' call them, but Sour seems a bit of a vague term to me. It pretty much covers everything including BWeiss, gose, kettle soured quick turnaround face crunchers, lambic, spontaneous ferments, etc. Etc. So from a practical POV, it's not particularly useful. From a more philosophical POV, it puts undue emphasis on one aspect of what might be a very complex beer (disclaimer, these are the styles I prefer). Like lumping food like chilli con carne, Rogan Josh, Thai curries etc under the name Spicy

The excellent answer I expected Sir! :)

Latest posts

Back