Sourcing grains..fair price?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get all the love for Maltmiller... I've looked on their site and been amazed by the outrageous prices - no thanks! So what are they doing to justify the adoration, coming round to your drum and making the beer whilst you watch telly or summat?

I started using Malt Miller a few years ago when I lived on the Isle of Skye, because their delivery charges to Scottish islands was the most cost-effective. I've kept using them since, mainly because I like their service & the quality of their products. I hadn't realised the price difference, though!!

I’ve still got 4 x 5k bags of Maris otter from MM and I’m well ****** off with everyone saying how **** it is and how much better the cheaper stuff is.
I’m off to kick next doors cat.

I havent bought MO for years because of the premium price. You can mimic it somewhat by simply adding some munich and/or biscuit malt. There are a number of threads on how to do this on American forums for yanks who only have access to their two row

I’ve still got 4 x 5k bags of Maris otter from MM and I’m well ****** off with everyone saying how **** it is and how much better the cheaper stuff is.

Ah the bitterness of a bad deal laid bare for all to see!

Anyways let's quit singing the praises of the HBC's el cheapo malt, otherwise it won't stay cheap for long. I've changed my mind - think it's shyte.

I'm using the propino extra pale from HBC at the moment. Figured it could be used for a range of styles. I like it. Just noticed it's £18 at the moment from HBC (whom I also recommend by the way)

I've used it too. Better than BestMalz, and both of them better than maris otter. IMO.

I'm about to pop 10kg of base malt into my shopping cart at THBC. Since they don't have my usual Crisp Clear Choice it's going to be either Hook Head Irish Pale Malt or Golden Promise. Anyone used both and tasted a difference?

I used GP many moons ago. Never bought it since. Got through 4 sacks of HH and will purchase the 5th once this sack of MO is done...

I've never used anything other than M.O. Maybe it's time to give something else a go though I have to say I've never had a problem with the finished beer from it.

Hbc I can attest are great, particularly as they deliver to Highlands for free as opposed to English companies that charge a fortune.
I would strongly recommend a grain crusher and storing bulk base grain.
If you condition grain with water prior to crush you get a much better Mash and reportedly lower tannin and o2 damage.
You can get an ok Chinese affair for 60 quid online

I breathed a sigh of relief when I used my last bag of MO the other week to be honest.... I'd only used IREKS pale ale malt prior to that, and it had a much nicer flavour imho, so I'd already decided to try something different.

I havent bought MO for years because of the premium price. You can mimic it somewhat by simply adding some munich and/or biscuit malt. There are a number of threads on how to do this on American forums for yanks who only have access to their two row

I usually put a bit of Munich malt in my brews these days anyway, as I like what it brings to the party. Properly "malty" flavour, even if the beer is quite dry.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I used my last bag of MO the other week to be honest.... I'd only used IREKS pale ale malt prior to that, and it had a much nicer flavour imho, so I'd already decided to try something different.

I usually put a bit of Munich malt in my brews these days anyway, as I like what it brings to the party. Properly "malty" flavour, even if the beer is quite dry.

Probably my taste buds but I made both pseduo lagers and ales with the GP and HH and could tell any difference between the two, not enough to justify the price difference anyway.
I read that if you add some munich as well as other malts like biscuit to regular pale malt, you can approximate MO

I've read the same bud, basically it's supposed to mimic the alleged "complexity" of the MO. I'm just not a huge fan of the MO flavour though been honest, the flavour of Dingemans Pilsen + Munich malt (the 17.7 EBC stuff, can't remember what maltster) has always seemed much nicer. The only other comparison I can make is with the IREKS pale ale malt, and the Mosaic pale ale I made with that (a SMASH) was truly amazing! I actually used a bit of the IREKS mixed in with MO when I made my Mosaic hopped accidental DIPA, along with some Cara-pils and Munich, and it helped improve the flavour again. The beers I made with just MO though seemed lacking though in comparison, and the one where I used a tiny bit of black malt the coffee notes from the black malt combined with the flavour from the MO to produce a fairly unpleasant flavour to my tastes. That's the thing though isn't it? To many, MO probably seems like the most delicious malt going, as the flavour of it suits their tastes. It was thanks to MO that I thought I didn't like Fuggles and EKG... I have a brew waiting to be bottled with those exact hops, where I covered the flavour from the MO with a load of crystal and chocolate malt, and it's absolutely delicious.... lol Actually, thinking about it, seems to me that MO is good when used with a load of other malts, like crystal and chocolate, but not so good when used on it's own or with only small amounts of other malts for colour, to my tastes anyway.

Right then, Hook Head it is. I always add 10-20% Munich to ales anyway to bring out the maltiness so I doubt I'd notice the slight difference in a change of base malt. Might as well chuck in a kg of BestMalz Munich to the cart while I'm there. Funny how I always order more than I'd planned.

I've read the same bud, basically it's supposed to mimic the alleged "complexity" of the MO. I'm just not a huge fan of the MO flavour though been honest, the flavour of Dingemans Pilsen + Munich malt (the 17.7 EBC stuff, can't remember what maltster) has always seemed much nicer. The only other comparison I can make is with the IREKS pale ale malt, and the Mosaic pale ale I made with that (a SMASH) was truly amazing! I actually used a bit of the IREKS mixed in with MO when I made my Mosaic hopped accidental DIPA, along with some Cara-pils and Munich, and it helped improve the flavour again. The beers I made with just MO though seemed lacking though in comparison, and the one where I used a tiny bit of black malt the coffee notes from the black malt combined with the flavour from the MO to produce a fairly unpleasant flavour to my tastes. That's the thing though isn't it? To many, MO probably seems like the most delicious malt going, as the flavour of it suits their tastes. It was thanks to MO that I thought I didn't like Fuggles and EKG... I have a brew waiting to be bottled with those exact hops, where I covered the flavour from the MO with a load of crystal and chocolate malt, and it's absolutely delicious.... lol Actually, thinking about it, seems to me that MO is good when used with a load of other malts, like crystal and chocolate, but not so good when used on it's own or with only small amounts of other malts for colour, to my tastes anyway.
Maybe that’s why the Mosaic smash I brewed a while back with MO was disappointing. I love the hop but was not impressed at all with that brew.
I’ve got some Munich in though, so might have another go with some Munich and a small amount of crystal added.

Latest posts

Back