Sourcing grains..fair price?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could well be bud, as even with the extra malts the DIPA isn't a patch on the SMASH I made with the IREKS malt last year! The hop flavour is good, but the malt backbone lacks oomph if you know what I mean? Doesn't help that I mashed at 65 degrees C, and the yeast went nuts with it, dropping from 1.060 to 1.006! Hence I ended up with a DIPA, rather than the planned IPA..... The lesson learned been to mash high if using Mangrove Jack's M44 yeast.... lol It's not helping that my taste buds are in winter mode, which means anything pale now tastes thin and insipid! asad. Beers I was really enjoying earlier in the year are now leaving me cold.

I don't get all the love for Maltmiller... I've looked on their site and been amazed by the outrageous prices - no thanks! So what are they doing to justify the adoration

I normally buy a load of ingredients in one go - malt, hops, yeast. I can't comment on the quality/price of grain from MM compared to others as I haven't really looked, but I switched to MM after getting some real poor hops from other suppliers: not even sealed, just chucked in a plastic bag and all brown when they arrived. You pay more at MM but at least you know you're getting quality from someone who cares about the product.

You pay more at MM but at least you know you're getting quality from someone who cares about the product.

Hmm.. I can say the same about The HBC, but substitute 'pay less' for 'pay more'. Really can't think of any reason to even bother looking elsewhere - never been anything less than 100% happy with their service, quality, choice and price.

Hmm.. I can say the same about The HBC, but substitute 'pay less' for 'pay more'. Really can't think of any reason to even bother looking elsewhere - never been anything less than 100% happy with their service, quality, choice and price.

Opened a couple of bags of speciality grains today from HBC. should've been 500g in each. Was closer to 400g unfortunately. Can't fault the quality of their products though

Opened a couple of bags of speciality grains today from HBC. should've been 500g in each. Was closer to 400g unfortunately. Can't fault the quality of their products though

Lol! I'd get on the blower sharpish... probably send a couple of Kg in recompense. Funnily enough, I used to split a 25Kg sack of pale into 5Kg bags upon receipt, and there was consistently closer to 26Kg in them than 25Kg. The extra kilo or so went into a 'special brew'!

I'm with Stigman and think I'll be trying the local microbreweries to see what they are prepared to sell a sack for. Found a localish farm and maltings that have a doorstep price of £20 a sack. If anyone up here is interested they are at Drem in East Lothian. https://www.facebook.com/mungoswells/
What is the cheapest anyone has found for a straight, good quality sack of malt?

Just saw this advert while flicking through Ferment magazine. Maybe they're confusing fame with quality.

dQDmSfo.jpg

Lol! I'd get on the blower sharpish... probably send a couple of Kg in recompense. Funnily enough, I used to split a 25Kg sack of pale into 5Kg bags upon receipt, and there was consistently closer to 26Kg in them than 25Kg. The extra kilo or so went into a 'special brew'!

carlsberg-special-brew-lager-500ml-can.jpg

Waste of grain IMO

I shudder at the thought now, but I was quite partial refund to Special Brew and Merrydown cider snake-bite in my yoof :yuk:

I will also be trying HBC next time and the Hook Head pale malt :) FYI- i live in stoke and have looked at staffordshire brewery before. Those prices are ex VAT and there's an additional charge if you only want one sack. Works out about £20 a sack but they're only open 9-5 monday to friday to difficult to get up there. I have to order speciality malts and hops anyway so i don't bother with the hassle

I will also be trying HBC next time and the Hook Head pale malt :) FYI- i live in stoke and have looked at staffordshire brewery before. Those prices are ex VAT and there's an additional charge if you only want one sack. Works out about £20 a sack but they're only open 9-5 monday to friday to difficult to get up there. I have to order speciality malts and hops anyway so i don't bother with the hassle

Propino works out at £17.70 a sack if you collect, which is a great deal

Latest posts

Back