South Cheshire Bottle Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick

How did you get the "plum" into your porter? Did you add fruit into it or just flavouring? If you've used fruit the problem may be pectin related ... basically, you're making thin jam wink... ... but that won't affect the flavour, it'll just be best to serve in a pewter tankard and not see the gloop in it :laugh8:

Cheers, PhilB

Thin jam sounds a lot better than what it tastes like currently.

It was flavouring. Its really present on the aroma, slightly chemically and artificial on the taste. After decanting the beer also foams heavily, which I'm putting down to the excess trub and possible infection.

All

I'll be doing the run tomorrow, saves the weather and suits me better. Hope that's okay.

Thanks, Nick

All

Ill be doing the run today, for those of you who I have contact details for I'll try to let you know in advance.

Cheers, Nick

Good stuff Nick, see you later ... though it'll probably be out of a window athumb..

Chopps - Sierra Nevada (to be held till conditioned!)
GeorgiV - Punk IPA, Belgian Dark
Falco - Chocolate Orange Stout (to be held till conditioned!)
PhilBrew - Best Bitter
Me - A lot of junk (I've tried the Plum Porter, its not good, but I could do with some help as to why)
... @chopps and @Falco, sorry I'm not sure I followed the full trail of the conversations above, where are those beers in their conditioning cycles? Do they still need to be kept warm conditioning for a bit, or can they be moved to cold?

Cheers, PhilB

Well for the Sierra Nevadas they are gassed up nicely now, but only 10 days since bottling.
They had cleared beautifully at room temp, but now I put them in a bag and knocked it a bit, back to cloudy.
I'd say they can be chilled now and once clear again probably good to go, if a little immature.
I'd drink 'em next week personally (and I intend to :) )

Hi Nick, am I correct in thinking I’m just supplying beer to you? Or are the others mentioned in dispatches expecting some too? I only ask because apart from the choc orange stout, my supplies are pretty low and not enough to satisfy the group, sorry!

@Falco sorry I've mis-understood :roll: ... I was expecting a choc-orange stout, and feel devastated now wink... ... but, no problem there's a bottle of Smoked Beer with your name on it amongst the stuff Nick's gonna collect from me ... that'll lern ya :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:athumb..athumb..athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

I can supply the stout Phil no problem as there's 41 x 500ml bottles conditioning bottled on Jan 4th, it's the others that supplies are a problem.

Depending on the route/logistics of Nicks journey, which will become apparent on his arrival, I can supply Stout to all the others he's still to visit athumb..

Depending on the route/logistics of Nicks journey, which will become apparent on his arrival
... ahhh yes, of course, I was forgetting (or maybe trying not to think about) the logistical nightmare this was causing Nick ... sorry Nick aheadbutt ... I'll shut up and see what turns up athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Thanks @NPi for the beer delivery, a good selection to sample once they've settled for a few days.

I've supplied several bottles of the choc orange stout bottled 4th January which when I tried a sample earlier this week didn't have a great deal of carbonation. It's since been kept at a slightly higher temperature to try and improve on the bottle conditioning and might be a good idea for anyone receiving a bottle to do the same for a while.

6BA0A662-9DD8-489A-847A-C45C7B5006F0.jpeg

Must remember to pace myself!
Thanks NPi, really appreciate the effort you made today.
thumb.

View attachment 39940
Must remember to pace myself!
Thanks NPi, really appreciate the effort you made today.
thumb.
... oh, and to be clear ... the Chevallier Best Bitter beers, in PET bottles, were bottled from corny keg (via (cheapo, carbonation cap-stlye) counter-pressure bottler) Wednesday night, there's fully conditioned and there should be no sediment in the bottles, they can be consumed whenever you want wink... ... the Smoked Beer will need some time to let the sediment settle and probably a careful pour (or pour into large jug and then decant into glass), whenevr you've mustered enough gumption athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Latest posts

Back